 General / 859
  Re: Should RTL be hosted on this server?

Well, I'll risk putting in my two cents, and being thought a fool... I have trouble accessing RTL from time to time. Most recently, I keep getting that there are no new mesages, when I know for a fact that ther are. I had thisa problem once befoore, (...) (26 years ago, 21-Nov-98, to lugnet.general)

  Re: Should RTL be hosted on this server?

(...) Well, one way would be to put a link on various web pages...I'm more than willing to put one on my pages,, such as they are...I am sure there are many folks who appreciate the job you've done in creating LUGNET, and would probably do the same. (...) (26 years ago, 23-Nov-98, to lugnet.general)

  Should RTL be hosted on this server?

Hello Lugnetters, I need help making a very important decision regarding the NNTP server here, and I'd like to hear any opinions and random thoughts you might have. If RTL were hosted on this news server, would that clearly be a good thing, or a (...) (26 years ago, 29-Nov-98, to lugnet.general)

  Re: Should RTL be hosted on this server?

(...) Abstain. I really don't understand enough about the ramifications to comment. I'm sure I will be happy with the sense of the group on this one. JSA (26 years ago, 29-Nov-98, to lugnet.general)

  Re: Should RTL be hosted on this server?

(...) This is a question worthy of some thought. Nevertheless, I'm gonna share my gut reactions now, and think about it and probably post again. Call it intuition vs. deliberation... What follows is the intuition part. My gut reaction is no. I can (...) (26 years ago, 29-Nov-98, to lugnet.general)

  Re: Should RTL be hosted on this server?

(...) Oops, I omitted the above referenced footnote from the last append: Here it is. 1 - I am reminded of the "it is better to keep silent and be thought a fool, than to speak up and remove all doubt" quote... everyone will be able to decide if I'm (...) (26 years ago, 29-Nov-98, to lugnet.general)

  Re: Should RTL be hosted on this server?

(...) Personnaly it costs me little time and no money to maintain the status quo. I am not a big fan of cross posting, so that feature has no appeal. In general I believe that the potential negatives out weigh the upside. It seems as though RTL is (...) (26 years ago, 29-Nov-98, to lugnet.general)

  Re: Should RTL be hosted on this server?

(...) I gotta abstain too. It would be more convenient for me, but I see both good and bad things coming from it. (26 years ago, 29-Nov-98, to lugnet.general)

  Re: Should RTL be hosted on this server?

Larry Pieniazek wrote: ...<snip>... (...) For the same reasons above, which very elegantly turned into words by Larry P., I wouldn't like to see it here, but of course it is IMHO, and would happily fit for the thing that others may want. Selçuk (26 years ago, 29-Nov-98, to lugnet.general)

  Re: Should RTL be hosted on this server?

R.T.L. on Lugnet? Does that mean more messages send through than through my current server? I like what lugnet does and it seems that everyone respects the rules so far ......I seen the other day that someone was posting furby's for sale, now what (...) (26 years ago, 29-Nov-98, to lugnet.general)

  Re: Should RTL be hosted on this server?

(...) Ouch. I think. But seriously, I am so cyberchallenged that I don't even understand the questions on this issue. JSA (26 years ago, 29-Nov-98, to lugnet.general)

  Re: Should RTL be hosted on this server?

YES YES YES that way I can crosspost! KL (...) (26 years ago, 29-Nov-98, to lugnet.general)

  Re: Should RTL be hosted on this server?

(...) No, no, no... I was trying to say you were the wise one by remaining silent. The man who knows what he does not know and is not afraid to say so is wiser by far than the man who thinks he knows it all and is not afraid to say so. :-) (...) The (...) (26 years ago, 29-Nov-98, to lugnet.general)

  Re: Should RTL be hosted on this server?

(...) Well, if that's the deal, leave it alone. Ain't broke; don't fix. And don't initiate something that will be difficult to reverse if it goes bad. Out. JSA (26 years ago, 29-Nov-98, to lugnet.general)

Todd Lehman wrote in message <3660932d.30465790@l...et.com>... (...) here, (...) If it means you can crosspost, then definitely not. People would just crosspost everything and we'd end up with all sorts of crap and flameage on Lugnet. Other than (...) (26 years ago, 29-Nov-98, to lugnet.general)

Todd Lehman skrev i meddelandet <3660932d.30465790@l...et.com>... (...) If it would mean _better_ coverage of all messages, I'm all for it (I _very_ often see answers to messages that doesn't show up until the next day - or never) I think You can (...) (26 years ago, 29-Nov-98, to lugnet.general)

  Re: Should RTL be hosted on this server?

(...) I think it would be a good thing preventing the death of RTL as everyone leaves and moves to LUGNET. (...) I don't think it would make it easier either way as I would still have to use 2 news servers. (...) It would prevent the split currently (...) (26 years ago, 29-Nov-98, to lugnet.general)

  Re: Should RTL be hosted on this server?

(...) I think confusion like this is one of the best reasons to NOT include r.t.l on LUGNET. My personal opinion is that crossposting, unless used with great consideration and thoughtfulness, is a bad thing. The biggest problem with crossposting in (...) (26 years ago, 29-Nov-98, to lugnet.general)

  Re: Should RTL be hosted on this server?

(...) I think the largest problem would be: Moderation!!! Will you moderate RTL on Lugnet as you moderate Lugnet? What effect would that have on people who read RTL via their Newsgroup reader? Will you block spam on RTL from being viewed on Lugnet, (...) (26 years ago, 29-Nov-98, to lugnet.general)

  Re: Should RTL be hosted on this server?

(...) Hmm, aren't rec.toys.lego and lugnet.general actually very different? -- (that's why the potential for confusion -- because they seem similar at first but aren't really)... lugnet.general is for "general" LEGO or community discussions that (...) (26 years ago, 29-Nov-98, to lugnet.general)

  Re: Should RTL be hosted on this server?

(...) It is, ultimately, yes, but while almost all of the administrative decisions here have been clear and solid, some (like this) are too complex and without precedent to make a comfortable gut-level determination. Input is strongly needed in this (...) (26 years ago, 29-Nov-98, to lugnet.general)

  Re: Should RTL be hosted on this server?

Here are a few comments that stand out in my mind -- things that get to the heart of the matter on a social level. I'd like to hear more opinions on these points... Robert M. Dye: (...) This seems to be a recurring theme lately, spoken in slightly (...) (26 years ago, 29-Nov-98, to lugnet.general)

  Re: Should RTL be hosted on this server?

(...) I think it would be best -- if RTL were offered -- to offer it in its entirety unchanged. There seem to be quite a few HTML postings there (like maybe 5 a week or more) and I don't think it's possible to educate Usenet newbies about (...) (26 years ago, 29-Nov-98, to lugnet.general)

  Re: Should RTL be hosted on this server?

(...) Here goes, but I'd like to hear some response from you on whether you agree with my technical comments (about article expiration and content based verification, specifically) or not. :-) Note that due to size I am putting footnotes on the same (...) (26 years ago, 29-Nov-98, to lugnet.general)

  Re: Should RTL be hosted on this server?

(...) Todd, I am new to the newgroup, but have been using RTL extensively for some time. The only way I found out about this set of newgroups was a post on RTL that mentioned them. Active recruitment in RTL would be essential to bring new members (...) (26 years ago, 29-Nov-98, to lugnet.general)

Kevin Loch wrote in message <3660DF05.1B45@NOSPMkl.net>... (...) No, because people will crosspost. If I wanted to read RTL I'd do so directly. Alternatively, yes, as long as crossposts are rejected. Moz (26 years ago, 29-Nov-98, to lugnet.general)

Todd Lehman wrote in message <366163a8.4473573@lu...et.com>... (...) <snipped most of the discussion.....> (...) I'm not sure about this. I really enjoyed RTL for some time, did some good trades, and shared a joke or two. I don't even look there (...) (26 years ago, 29-Nov-98, to lugnet.general)

  Re: Should RTL be hosted on this server?

Todd, Could you clarify technically what you mean by hosted on this server? I think there is some confusion. I understand that you are trying to investigate the social implications, but I think everyone needs to understand what would happen (...) (26 years ago, 29-Nov-98, to lugnet.general)

  Re: Should RTL be hosted on this server?

(...) But, requiring people to reveal true names, and to be civil IS a barrier. A good barrier, and one 98% (1) of the community will have no difficulty crossing. Call it a filter if you will. But it's a filter I wish maintained. I prefer not to (...) (26 years ago, 29-Nov-98, to lugnet.general)

  Re: Should RTL be hosted on this server?

(...) You may be 100% right, before I tackle any of those questions, I need to come to a better understanding of section 202 of the new Digital Millenium Copyright Act of the 105th Congress. It deals with limitations on liabilities for Internet (...) (26 years ago, 29-Nov-98, to lugnet.general)

  Re: Should RTL be hosted on this server?

(...) Yes, 100% correct -- it would mean no change to RTL whatsoever, except perhaps crossposting in headers, which I'm beginning to think is inescapable in the long-term due to the way caching NNRP servers work. Anyway, yes, anyone could still read (...) (26 years ago, 29-Nov-98, to lugnet.general)

  Re: Should RTL be hosted on this server?

(...) Let me state that a slightly different way -- It is not supposed to be a place for a few select people to congregate and behave in a way that is natural for them (which just happens to be civil). It is supposed to be a place for everyone to (...) (26 years ago, 29-Nov-98, to lugnet.general)

  Re: Should RTL be hosted on this server?

(...) ^^^^^^^^ durrr. That should say "would not" -- it would not be _moved_ here, just carried here. --Todd (...) (26 years ago, 29-Nov-98, to lugnet.general)

  Re: Should RTL be hosted on this server?

(...) It's my perception anyway, I have heard many people saying that they no longer post to RTL. (...) Well not if RTL was used instead of lugnet.general (but as has been said they have different purposes), then LUGNET people would still post to (...) (26 years ago, 29-Nov-98, to lugnet.general)

  Re: Should RTL be hosted on this server?

Todd Lehman wrote: <snip> (...) This would be a good thing. I'd say it ought to just present the facts in a fairly dry way. All the "evangelists" would have a copy and just post it in reply. I could take a swag, I guess. (26 years ago, 29-Nov-98, to lugnet.general)

  Re: Should RTL be hosted on this server?

(...) It would mean the ability to crosspost to lugnet.* groups, yes -- but only for those people who have gone through the news posting setup at: (URL) other words, only the people who have succesfully crossed Larry's gate/ barrier would be allowed (...) (26 years ago, 29-Nov-98, to lugnet.general)

  Re: Should RTL be hosted on this server?

(...) ^^^...^^^ (...) ^^^...^^^ (...) ^^^...^^^ (...) ^^^...^^^ (...) Interesting... OK, so there are still probably quite a few people out there who don't read RTL regularly enough to have noticed that there are specialized newsgroups here... And (...) (26 years ago, 29-Nov-98, to lugnet.general)

  Re: Should RTL be hosted on this server?

(...) Agreed. When I first started reading RTL (May 97?), I would read virtually each and every post. And I enjoyed doing so. Now I skip the majority of it, only occasionally parsing a thread to see what it's about. Often, as in the case of the (...) (26 years ago, 30-Nov-98, to lugnet.general)

  Re: Should RTL be hosted on this server?

(...) OK, fair enough. What I meant by it not being designed as a barrier was that its original intent was not to be a barrier, even though in practice it is of course a small barrier. I hate to see it tossed about AS a barrier as if that were its (...) (26 years ago, 30-Nov-98, to lugnet.general)

  Can RTL be turned round? (was Re: Should RTL be hosted on this server?

(...) Yes. As would getting it updated. I think we all acknowledge that doing a FAQ is a labor of love, and **I** certainly don't have time, but it is pretty out of date in spots. In fact, I think a few canned responses to general sorts of questions (...) (26 years ago, 30-Nov-98, to lugnet.general)

  Re: Should RTL be hosted on this server?

(...) I don't think it would help this as you are still at the mercy of message propagation, remember the messages won't be originating here. (...) Paul Foster (URL) (26 years ago, 30-Nov-98, to lugnet.general)

  Re: Should RTL be hosted on this server?

(...) Ok, then what happens if somebody who is approved cross posts to rtl and a lugnet group and it propagates out to the web and then someone on the web who is not approved does a reply without modifying the headers, what happens when that article (...) (26 years ago, 30-Nov-98, to lugnet.general)

  LUGNET Blurb (was Re: Should RTL be hosted on this server?

(...) Swag: (done rather quickly, so hack away) -- begin -- To old and new readers of RTL: There is another place to share the joy of Lego, make friends, share ideas, and participate in our special community. LUGNET is a privately hosted, fan (...) (26 years ago, 30-Nov-98, to lugnet.general)

  Re: Should RTL be hosted on this server?

(...) This is why I would say don't include RTL, you start to get into issues like this. Besides, if you have to filter messages by non approved posters, what's the point of carrying RTL any ways. Anyone who is approved will probably already be (...) (26 years ago, 30-Nov-98, to lugnet.general)

  Re: Should RTL be hosted on this server?

(...) If you and I are both reading RTL here, that means that THIS news server is serving up the posts. If you post while reading HERE, the post will go to this news server first (before being propagated outward in the classic chaotic usenet (...) (26 years ago, 30-Nov-98, to lugnet.general)

  Re: Should RTL be hosted on this server?

(...) Maybe the FAQ isn't posted there often enough...might that help? --Todd (26 years ago, 30-Nov-98, to lugnet.general)

  Re: LUGNET Blurb (was Re: Should RTL be hosted on this server?

(...) Drat. Here's something: Note that unlike usenet, LUGNET is a private service and in order to participate you will need to reveal your real name. Further, LUGNET requires you to acknowledge that you will abide by the LUGNET terms and conditions (...) (26 years ago, 30-Nov-98, to lugnet.general)

  Re: Should RTL be hosted on this server?

(...) I think part of it is that some of the more civil voices are gone. A lot of the recent flames seem to be about the same things over and over. The same people come on and spam the same thing day after day and that starts things all over again. (...) (26 years ago, 30-Nov-98, to lugnet.general)

  Re: Should RTL be hosted on this server?

(...) I concede that point but there will still be alot of propagation delay that will probably confuse people here because of all the non lugnet originated RTL posts, unless of course, everybody migrated to lugnet which would then make the whole (...) (26 years ago, 30-Nov-98, to lugnet.general)

  Re: Should RTL be hosted on this server?

(...) <snip> (...) For me, and many others with terrible newsservers, this is a big advantage. I have to use Dejanews to read RTL if I want to stay current with posts. While I like Dejanews as an archiving service, it is not ideal to use it as a (...) (26 years ago, 30-Nov-98, to lugnet.general)

  Re: Should RTL be hosted on this server?

Todd, I would like to suggest that you have a specific page (one screen) that outlines the Lugnet's goals, services, and explains why a sign up procedure is required. This page will have links to the main page, and sign in page and any general (...) (26 years ago, 30-Nov-98, to lugnet.general)

  Re: LUGNET Blurb (was Re: Should RTL be hosted on this server?

(...) ...<snip> I suggest that the letter be shorter, and not include every detail of Lugnet. I could group RTL in to the following, those who have not heard of Lugnet, and those that have but aren't leaving for whatever reason. I suggest that the (...) (26 years ago, 30-Nov-98, to lugnet.general)

  Re: Should RTL be hosted on this server?

On Mon, 30 Nov 1998 02:24:23 GMT, lehman@javanet.com (Todd Lehman) wrote: :> RTL prior to LUGNET had order, of sorts, because the old timers, who :> knew each other, enforced it via suasion, peer pressure, and ultimately :> ostracism (to an extent). (...) (26 years ago, 30-Nov-98, to lugnet.general)

Todd Lehman wrote in message <3661db44.25869828@l...et.com>... (...) Interesting, especially when most of the messages so far are about technology more than community. Do you think people are going to think differently about RTL if it's moved? (...) (26 years ago, 30-Nov-98, to lugnet.general)

Terry K wrote in message <3661fca9.1478769@lu...et.com>... (...) Well, I've bailed out, for the most part. I just don't have the time anymore to wade through 80 auctions and messages about things that do not interest me. Then there are all the (...) (26 years ago, 30-Nov-98, to lugnet.general)

Todd Lehman wrote in message <366163a8.4473573@lu...et.com>... (...) Yes. But I wouldn't call the serious nature of the posts over here "belief." I'd call it fact. How many flame wars have we had here in Lugnet? None. How many off-topic.debate (...) (26 years ago, 30-Nov-98, to lugnet.general)

  Re: Should RTL be hosted on this server?

(...) Quick note: generally speaking, this is not a true statement. But, if you apply the filter of being able to use a keyboard and access the internet, it may be true for the remaining 'everyone'. Steve (26 years ago, 30-Nov-98, to lugnet.general)

  Re: Should RTL be hosted on this server?

(...) But a lot of that is simply because most lugnet'ers have been around RTL for awhile, and don't feel the need to rehash old arguments. Steve (26 years ago, 30-Nov-98, to lugnet.general)

  Re: Should RTL be hosted on this server?

(...) I didn't mean to suggest that it hadn't started happening...sorry for the confusion... What I meant to address was the question of the consequences in the mind as it happens -- in how people view it. If people cross that line _and_ they start (...) (26 years ago, 30-Nov-98, to lugnet.general)

  Re: Should RTL be hosted on this server?

(...) When you say "to/on the web" you mean "to/on Usenet," right? What would have to happen is that the article would come back here with the same crossposting headers, and its Newsgroups line would have to be truncated so that it only wound up in (...) (26 years ago, 30-Nov-98, to lugnet.general)

  Re: Should RTL be hosted on this server?

(...) See the other response at (URL) one runs RTL -- we're just brainstorming about the merits or drawbacks of hosting it here in addition to all the other places it's currently hosted -- not about moving it to only be hosted here. --Todd (26 years ago, 30-Nov-98, to lugnet.general)

  Re: LUGNET Blurb (was Re: Should RTL be hosted on this server?

Larry, This is a great start! My edits/suggestions/comments below... --Todd (...) ^^^...^^^ I wonder if there is another salutation which would suggest inside-hood -- such as "fellow RTL'ers:" -- rather than possible outside-hood...? Not that (...) (26 years ago, 30-Nov-98, to lugnet.general)

  Re: Should RTL be hosted on this server?

[Once upon a time, lehman@javanet.com (Todd Lehman) wrote about hosting RTL on lugnet.com/news/.] Apparently, I picked the wrong time to have a major national holiday separate me from my lugnet-devoted newsreader. :/ I'll make my points brief. They (...) (26 years ago, 30-Nov-98, to lugnet.general)

Todd Lehman wrote in message <3662c0ff.8026676@lu...et.com>... <snipped Todd's translation of Larry's excellent first stab at the letter... (...) Todd, it never ceases to amaze me how some people can turn words around and make me see things from a (...) (26 years ago, 30-Nov-98, to lugnet.general)

  Re: LUGNET Blurb (was Re: Should RTL be hosted on this server?

(...) ^^^^^^ ^^^^^^^ It's probably best to say "the LUGNET newsgroups" here because the thing that will be known later as "LUGNET" doesn't exist yet. And certainly, the service that exists there now with the newsgroups is only a small part of what (...) (26 years ago, 30-Nov-98, to lugnet.general)

  Re: LUGNET Blurb (was Re: Should RTL be hosted on this server?

(...) Maybe "Everyone can read the lugnet postings, but before posting new messages, you must agree to follow some basic rules of netiquette and agree to conditions of use."? (...) ... or missed messages because your ISP didn't pick up some (...) (26 years ago, 30-Nov-98, to lugnet.general)

  Re: Should RTL be hosted on this server?

(...) I'd say the possibility of cross-posting between the lugnet groups and rec.toys.lego is a _good_ thing, in terms of allowing lugnet to support RTL, rather than detracting from it. That way (for example), announcements can be cross-posted. And (...) (26 years ago, 30-Nov-98, to lugnet.general)

  Re: Should RTL be hosted on this server?

(...) Linc has brought up some good ideas. Also, I believe there is already a link to the lugnet main page from Michael Dorneich's Everything Lego page, which every Lego newbie will find sooner or later. (...) Since there is such a concern that (...) (26 years ago, 30-Nov-98, to lugnet.general)

  Re: Should RTL be hosted on this server?

(...) That may be true. What is also true, though, is that there are specific groups here for discussing specific things. So if a nasty discussion begins those people can always be encouraged to move it to off-topic.debate and keep it out of the (...) (26 years ago, 30-Nov-98, to lugnet.general)

  Re: Can RTL be turned round? (was Re: Should RTL be hosted on this server?

Larry Pieniazek writes: <snip> (...) Not only possible, but IMO true. Snobbery arrives subtlely. :) (...) Ya, well, you're only saying that because it's true ;-) It seems as though a question like, "Where can I get black helmets?" ellicits an (...) (26 years ago, 30-Nov-98, to lugnet.general)

Todd Lehman wrote in message <3662a9e2.2109338@lu...et.com>... (...) I don't think the Lugnet people are of the mindset to label. Excessively. (...) So it's going to be carried here but not only here? My mistake. Now I see almost no reason to argue (...) (26 years ago, 30-Nov-98, to lugnet.general)

  Re: Should RTL be hosted on this server?

(...) Hey, I'M the topic police. No, seriously -- if a thread is getting out of hand and off-topic, a gentle reminder, or several, with followup-to set, should be sufficient. I don't see a need to retroactively relocate articles. (26 years ago, 30-Nov-98, to lugnet.general)

  Re: LUGNET Blurb (was Re: Should RTL be hosted on this server?

Steve/Larry, I think these are good additions/changes... --Todd (...) (26 years ago, 30-Nov-98, to lugnet.general)

  Re: Should RTL be hosted on this server?

(...) Don't worry -- it's literally impossible for anyone to "move" rtl anywhere, short of convincing everyone (well, at least every news admin) in the world to change. (26 years ago, 30-Nov-98, to lugnet.general)

  Re: Should RTL be hosted on this server?

(...) Hmmm. I'm not sure I like that. If I go to the trouble of explicitly saying where a message should go (and if it's somewhere that that message has every right to be) it seems like the server is making a mistake if it loses some of my (...) (26 years ago, 30-Nov-98, to lugnet.general)

  Re: Should RTL be hosted on this server?

(...) Not that necessarily advocating the practice of moving existing messages, but it does help keep the thread intact. Which helps readers follow what's going on. It also _strongly_ encourages new followups to go where the T.P. want them to go. (...) (26 years ago, 30-Nov-98, to lugnet.general)

  Re: Should RTL be hosted on this server?

(...) Actually, I just meant it should just *ignore* the extra entries in the Newsgroups header. But that doesn't make sense, especially after your further discussion about the evils of having separated threads spawned from cross-posted messages. (...) (26 years ago, 30-Nov-98, to lugnet.general)

  Re: Should RTL be hosted on this server?

(...) excellent key point! (...) Let me see if I correctly understand what you're saying. In other words, if something originates outside of this newsserver, the newsserver should map/truncate Newsgroups: rec.toys.foo,rec.toy...lugnet.foo to simply (...) (26 years ago, 30-Nov-98, to lugnet.general)

  Re: Should RTL be hosted on this server?

I'm thinking really hard on this, but I'm not sure there is any _clean_ solution other than allowing at-will cross-posting between RTL and lugnet groups. This is because: A) NNTP guidelines indicate that the Newsgroup header should always be (...) (26 years ago, 30-Nov-98, to lugnet.general)

  Re: Should RTL be hosted on this server?

(...) Nah, it's 100% my mistake -- I shouldn't have used the word "hosted" in the subject line -- I should have used "carried." "Should RTL be carried on this server?" (...) Aha, yes -- good point -- too much potential for accusations of elitism (in (...) (26 years ago, 30-Nov-98, to lugnet.general)

  Re: Should RTL be hosted on this server?

1st of all, I just select "tools, download all," so having to go to two different servers is not really noticeable. OE seems to handle it ok. The only benefits I could see might be receiving some posts sooner rather than later, and not needing to (...) (26 years ago, 30-Nov-98, to lugnet.general)

  Re: Should RTL be hosted on this server?

I couldn't find the bit in here that might be relevant, so snipped it all! I would imagine that, due to the lack of flame-wars, the more productive and useful postings, the Organization of LUGnet, makes it a much more viable vehicle with which to (...) (26 years ago, 30-Nov-98, to lugnet.general)

  Re: Should RTL be hosted on this server?

(...) I wish to apologise to fellow LUGnet users my participation in that thread, not my initial post to that thread, rather my profane, inane responses that had subsequently emerged. An irrational, defensive reaction, which only further fuelled the (...) (26 years ago, 30-Nov-98, to lugnet.general)

Todd Lehman wrote in message <3663128b.28905770@l...et.com>... (...) This is true, you would need to take control.cancel and rec.toys.lego if you wanted every single cancel. You probably wouldn't want to do that, since the last statistics that I saw (...) (26 years ago, 30-Nov-98, to lugnet.general)

  Re: Should RTL be hosted on this server?

(...) True, canceling wouldn't work unless you get control.cancel. Spam aside for a second, I don't think ignoring cancels is very bad. People should assume that once they hit "post", it's public, like it or not. But then, there's the issue of spam (...) (26 years ago, 30-Nov-98, to lugnet.general)

  Re: Should RTL be hosted on this server?

(...) By "unwashed" I take it you mean those who haven't completed the news-posting setup? Or do you mean Larry's version of "unwashed"? (...) But doesn't that validate and/or encourage the practice of posting HTML, binaries, spam, etc.? (...) Yes, (...) (26 years ago, 30-Nov-98, to lugnet.general)

  Re: Should RTL be hosted on this server?

(...) One thing to consider is that if a message is cross-posted to a moderated group, it shouldn't show up in any other groups until it's been accepted in that group. LUGnet is a (lightly-and-automatically) moderated forum. It's completely (...) (26 years ago, 30-Nov-98, to lugnet.general)

  Re: Should RTL be hosted on this server?

(...) I don't think I like it either... Not because I'm morally against modifying NNTP headers on a private server (I would be in Usenet context) but because of the confusion which would ensue (more below). (...) Yeah, splitting is definitely (...) (26 years ago, 30-Nov-98, to lugnet.general)

  Re: Should RTL be hosted on this server?

On Mon, 30 Nov 1998 03:53:14 GMT, Paul Foster <pfoster@execpc.com> wrote: :Ok, then what happens if somebody who is approved cross posts to rtl and :a lugnet :group and it propagates out to the web and then someone on the web who :is not :approved (...) (26 years ago, 30-Nov-98, to lugnet.general)

  Re: LUGNET Blurb (was Re: Should RTL be hosted on this server?

(...) ", so you are sure to find information in your area of interest." (...) Thanks for writing the post. Some advocacy is necessary for encouraging participation. Besides the post could be updated from time to time. (26 years ago, 1-Dec-98, to lugnet.general)

Todd Lehman wrote in message <3662a9e2.2109338@lu...et.com>... :I think it used to be -- at least we :heard happy stories from time to time -- that people with limited interest :in LEGO would stumble into RTL and then discover how wonderful LEGO & (...) (26 years ago, 1-Dec-98, to lugnet.general)

  Re: Should RTL be hosted on this server?

(...) It really has been the doing of one individual, believe it or not, as the catalyst (with the help of some regulars of course). Reminds me of the Mandroid days. These too, I suspect, will pass. Barry (26 years ago, 1-Dec-98, to lugnet.general)

  Re: LUGNET Blurb (was Re: Should RTL be hosted on this server?

(...) I'm on board with them. However my bandwidth just dried up. Can someone take a stab at a repost incorporating Todd's and Steve's changes? Do it as a single block and posters can mark it up again. Don't bother with revision bars, et al, none of (...) (26 years ago, 1-Dec-98, to lugnet.general)

  Re: Should RTL be hosted on this server?

(...) <some good technical stuff that I don't have the bandwidth to grok...> but nonetheless I disagree. If rtl is served from here, cross posting should be allowed for messages first posted here. Regardless of whether the poster is posting an (...) (26 years ago, 1-Dec-98, to lugnet.general)

  Re: Should RTL be hosted on this server?

Once upon a time, lehman@javanet.com (Todd Lehman) wrote: [snip] (...) Anyone who *should* be cross-posting, should be able to grok this. In the sense that it takes some sense (and diplomacy) to cross-post effectively. Steve (26 years ago, 1-Dec-98, to lugnet.general)

  Re: Should RTL be hosted on this server?

(...) I believe I mean more like Larry's unwashed. I was referring to the set of messages which exist on RTL, and we are trying to prevent from spilling out onto lugnet.* (...) I meant to suggest the *.binaries, *.html and etc. groups be read-only (...) (26 years ago, 1-Dec-98, to lugnet.general)

  Re: Should RTL be hosted on this server?

(...) I don't see any problem with filtering on _technical_ grounds, like getting rid of binaries or html. It's when you're filtering on content that issues arise. (26 years ago, 1-Dec-98, to lugnet.general)

  Re: Should RTL be hosted on this server?

On Mon, 30 Nov 1998 15:50:25 GMT, blisses@worldnet.att.net (Steve Bliss) wrote: : rec.toys.lego.spam <-- followups set to rec.toys.lego Follow-ups sent /dev/null? Jasper (26 years ago, 1-Dec-98, to lugnet.general)

  Re: Should RTL be hosted on this server?

On Mon, 30 Nov 1998 20:54:15 GMT, blisses@worldnet.att.net (Steve Bliss) wrote: :I'm thinking really hard on this, but I'm not sure there is any _clean_ :solution other than allowing at-will cross-posting between RTL and :lugnet groups. : :This is (...) (26 years ago, 1-Dec-98, to lugnet.general)

  Re: LUGNET Blurb (was Re: Should RTL be hosted on this server?

(...) "Robert M. Dye" <robdye@writeme.com> writes: (...) "Linc Smith" <ldsmith@pfc.forestry.ca> writes: (...) OK, we made up a couple buttons -- here is the page... (URL) are designed to link to the main root homepage (rather than the news page), (...) (26 years ago, 1-Dec-98, to lugnet.general)

  Re: Should RTL be hosted on this server?

(...) I think so. From the body of text, it's not immediately apparent how to post and browse. Maybe you should just put a *short* introduction with a link to more details, and then have links to browsing, posting, and posting setup. For the (...) (26 years ago, 2-Dec-98, to lugnet.general)

  Re: Should RTL be hosted on this server?

(...) But when a lugnet'er posts a follow-up to one of those messages, the follow-up will go to those lugnet.* groups. Technically, I don't think it's a problem, but it will fragment threads. And if the original message had other Usenet groups, the (...) (26 years ago, 2-Dec-98, to lugnet.general)

  Re: Should RTL be hosted on this server?

On Wed, 2 Dec 1998 13:05:54 GMT, blisses@worldnet.att.net (Steve Bliss) wrote: :If lugnet.com is changed to ignore invalid/unrecognized entries in the :Newsgroups header, then someone could use lugnet to post to any Usenet :ng, as long as the (...) (26 years ago, 2-Dec-98, to lugnet.general)

  Re: Should RTL be hosted on this server?

(...) I just installed a second copy of Free Agent for lugnet. It doesn't take up that much hard drive space, and it's a lot easier to manage. Steve (26 years ago, 2-Dec-98, to lugnet.general)

  Re: LUGNET Blurb (was Re: Should RTL be hosted on this server?

(...) can think of is "LUGNET: LEGO News, Weather, and Sports". That probably isn't the best thing to go with. Steve (26 years ago, 2-Dec-98, to lugnet.general)

  Re: Should RTL be hosted on this server?

(...) I wouldn't want there to be 'lugnet.com' in the 'Path' of outgoing articles to groups that people here don't monitor regularly. In other words, the risk of someone accidentally or intentionally peeving off other ng's by one or two mischevious (...) (26 years ago, 2-Dec-98, to lugnet.general)

  Re: Should RTL be hosted on this server?

On Wed, 2 Dec 1998 15:49:15 GMT, lehman@javanet.com (Todd Lehman) wrote: :I wouldn't want there to be 'lugnet.com' in the 'Path' of outgoing articles :to groups that people here don't monitor regularly. In other words, the :risk of someone (...) (26 years ago, 2-Dec-98, to lugnet.general)

  Re: Should RTL be hosted on this server?

(...) Agent has instructions for installing multiple instances... look under "How to Configure Agent for Multiple Users and Servers". I use three copies of Agent: one for Usenet, one for Lugnet, and one for Furnet. You have to move some files around (...) (26 years ago, 3-Dec-98, to lugnet.general)

  Re: LUGNET Blurb (was Re: Should RTL be hosted on this server?

(...) Sounds like you've got an idea/concept/vision for some text, but you're not happy with the way it's coming out in words...? Maybe back up a bit -- block the end result out of your mind for a minute -- pretend someone is sitting next to you and (...) (26 years ago, 3-Dec-98, to lugnet.general)

  Re: Should RTL be hosted on this server?

(...) There is a _much_ easier way. :-) Make two subdirectories in your agent directory. One for Lugnet and one for your standard news. Then make two shortcuts to start Agent. In each one, edit the shortcut properties to change the "Start In" (...) (26 years ago, 3-Dec-98, to lugnet.general)

  Re: Should RTL be hosted on this server?

(...) What version are you using? I'm using Free Agent 1.0, and I can't find these instructions... :( Jasper (26 years ago, 3-Dec-98, to lugnet.general)

  Re: Should RTL be hosted on this server?

(...) I'm not absolutely positive about this, but I thought only Agent could handle multiple servers with the different ini files and dirs, not Free Agent? Probably wrong, though. (26 years ago, 3-Dec-98, to lugnet.general)

  Re: Should RTL be hosted on this server?

(...) That might be it... I now have it set up something like this .I just installed it to two different directories - that seems to work. Since I had a agent/data directory of 90 megs or so, I figured 500k extra worth of agent.exe isn't too big a (...) (26 years ago, 4-Dec-98, to lugnet.general)

  Re: Should RTL be hosted on this server?

(...) I'm using Free Agent 1.11/32. The instructions for doing it _are_ in the docs, though it is pretty vague and hard to find. The instruction in my version are under Help | How To section. Then at the bottom is the "FAQ's" selection. In that you (...) (26 years ago, 4-Dec-98, to lugnet.general)

  Re: Should RTL be hosted on this server?

(...) Im running FreeAgent 1.11/32 and I have 3 news servers configured. Just make new directories under the agent directory and create a shortcut for each server you want to reach. In the properties of these shortcuts, you leave the program (...) (26 years ago, 4-Dec-98, to lugnet.general)

  Re: Should RTL be hosted on this server?

(...) Well there you go. Figured I was wrong. I remember this from when I used Free Agent. Now I just use Linux to read news. (1) 1. Well, technically I use slrn on my Linux box, but since all I have time to do with Linux nowadays while I'm working (...) (26 years ago, 5-Dec-98, to lugnet.general)

  Re: Should RTL be hosted on this server?

(...) Me too! I would much rather keep RTL as a separate entity from LUGNET. Consider RTL as the first stage for joining the community. Just as we direct people from ATL to RTL, we can direct people who are seriously interested from RTL to Lugnet. (...) (26 years ago, 5-Dec-98, to lugnet.general)

Gary Louie wrote in message <3669B8FF.DCED05BD@E...nk.Net>... (...) See Todd, I told you people wouldn't understand (like I didn't). They think that people who access RTL through their servers will automatically be routed through to yours. Truth is, (...) (26 years ago, 7-Dec-98, to lugnet.general)

  Re: Should RTL be hosted on this server?

Todd Lehman wrote: <snip> I know that Robert's Rules of Order do not completely apply here, but nonetheless: "Call the question!" That is, we've talked about it for a while now and I think many stakeholders have stated their positions. Key (...) (26 years ago, 7-Dec-98, to lugnet.general)

  Re: Should RTL be hosted on this server?

(...) Still more discussion is needed, I think. Crossposting is the sticky issue. Let me summarize what I believe to be the crux of the matter -- and I apologize in advance that this will be mostly stream-of-consciousness... If rec.toys.lego were (...) (26 years ago, 8-Dec-98, to lugnet.general)

  Re: Should RTL be hosted on this server?

(...) I am against having Rec.Toys.Lego on the Lugnet server, but you decide to do this, could you make the messages expire after three weeks? This would give most of us a chance to recover from a computer crash, where it might take a little time to (...) (26 years ago, 11-Dec-98, to lugnet.general)

  Re: Should RTL be hosted on this server?

(...) Yes. (...) That's because we (I anyway) are slightly egoistic. It doesn't matter that much to me if RTL stays alive or not now that I'm mainly reading Lugnet. I expect that RTL'ers actually miss cross-posting from Lugnet because the "big guys" (...) (26 years ago, 11-Dec-98, to lugnet.general)

  Re: Should RTL be hosted on this server?

(...) I'm against having it here too, but I'd prefer the messages NEVER expire. (26 years ago, 11-Dec-98, to lugnet.general)

  Re: Should RTL be hosted on this server?

Earlier, Jacob Sparre Andersen wrote stuff, most of which I agree with. (...) I don't think cross-posting all groups is a good idea. Particularly, groups like - lugnet.admin.database - lugnet.admin.statistics - lugnet.robotics - (...) (26 years ago, 11-Dec-98, to lugnet.general)

  Re: Should RTL be hosted on this server?

Speaking for myself, I feel RTL should not be carried here, and membership should be sought other ways (1). (...) I am not particularly sympathetic to this, and for me it is not a concern. (...) Too much work to configure two readers? But not to (...) (26 years ago, 11-Dec-98, to lugnet.general)

  Re: Should RTL be hosted on this server?

(...) It would be a good thing for me, I have trouble with newsreaders - my Netscape one doesn't work anymore, and for some reason Dejanews doesn't either. (...) I dont' know if I agree with this. Can you restrict HTML and binaries since they are (...) (26 years ago, 12-Dec-98, to lugnet.general)

  Re: Should RTL be hosted on this server?

Ok... I'm a newbie to newsgroups, and I have the Mindstorms. Been looking for something like this for a while but never figured out how to do it. In fact I'm still not sure how I got OutLookExpress to do this. If anyone can help me I'd be greatly (...) (26 years ago, 14-Dec-98, to lugnet.general)

  Re: Should RTL be hosted on this server?

(...) Correct. I didn't think of those groups. Play well, Jacob ---...--- -- E-mail: Jacob.Sparre.Andersen@risoe.dk -- -- Web...: <URL:(URL) -- ---...--- LEGO: MOC+++c TO+++(6543) TC+++(8880) AQ+++ BV-- #++ S LS++ A-/+ YB72m (26 years ago, 14-Dec-98, to lugnet.general)

  Re: LUGNET Blurb (was Re: Should RTL be hosted on this server?

Well, we didn't finish this, did we? Here is a revised copy of the blurb incorporating all the changes I could find. Do people think with these revisions, it's good to go? -- start -- To fellow RTL'ers: There is another place to share the joy of (...) (26 years ago, 28-Dec-98, to lugnet.general)

  Re: Should RTL be hosted on this server?

Todd Lehman wrote: <original question> Discussion on this seems to have petered out. Well, I changed my mind. If we can resolve the cross posting problems, I now think it's a good idea. Why? Selfish reasons. Several times in the last week I have (...) (26 years ago, 28-Dec-98, to lugnet.general)

  Re: LUGNET Blurb (was Re: Should RTL be hosted on this server?

(...) Posted. 'Twil be interesting to see what ensues. (26 years ago, 28-Dec-98, to lugnet.general)

  Re: LUGNET Blurb (was Re: Should RTL be hosted on this server?

(...) Looks good to me!! --Tood (26 years ago, 28-Dec-98, to lugnet.general)