 General / 878
Re: Should RTL be hosted on this server?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Sun, 29 Nov 1998 13:55:43 GMT

Todd Lehman wrote:

"Carbon 60" <carbon60@bigfoot.com> writes:
  1.  Potential for confusion about where to post new threads when posting
      on this server (particularly lugnet.general vs. rec.toys.lego).
Hmm, aren't rec.toys.lego and lugnet.general actually very different? --
(that's why the potential for confusion -- because they seem similar at
first but aren't really)...

I think confusion like this is one of the best reasons to NOT include
r.t.l on LUGNET.  My personal opinion is that crossposting, unless used
with great consideration and thoughtfulness, is a bad thing.  The
biggest problem with crossposting in general is that the majority of
people are not thoughtful and considerate about it, and you wind up with
a great deal of off-topic junk mixed in with stuff that can be quite
interesting and useful, preventing you from merely killing a thread and
being done with it.  This problem exists because it's very easy to post
a followup to a message without thinking about the fact that your
followup is going to more than one newsgroup.

I see the issue mostly in non-technical terms which have been pretty
well covered by Larry P.  I see LUGNET as a community rather than a set
of newsgroups.  As long as the existence of LUGNET is pointed out in
r.t.l, thus allowing access to newcomers, I see a fairly wide separation
as a good thing.

Count me as a NO vote, but keep in mind that I realized that since
LUGNET is a service provided by Todd, far be it from me to tell him that
he shouldn't make changes to the service that are in his own best
interest, especially since it's a service that I pay nothing for and
reap a significant benefit.  In short, I'd prefer if r.t.l was not
added, but will not gripe and complain if it is.

Regards,

BOB!!