 General / 877
Re: Should RTL be hosted on this server?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Sun, 29 Nov 1998 14:55:55 GMT

Larry Pieniazek <lpien@ctp.IWANTNOSPAM.com> writes:

[...]
Although it would be a relatively simple technical action, I think it would
be wise to solicit input and discussion before just jumping in and doing it
for the sake of doing it.  That is, I'd like to understand the potential
positive and negative consequences of the action, and for us as a community
(collective mind) to decide whether or not it might be a good thing to do.

This sentiment is admirable, and why we all kind of like you a little,
but ultimately it's your decision, you know.

It is, ultimately, yes, but while almost all of the administrative decisions
here have been clear and solid, some (like this) are too complex and without
precedent to make a comfortable gut-level determination.  Input is strongly
needed in this case, and I'm not likely to go against the grain on this one.

I also suspect that if this were put into effect without gathering opinions,
it's the type of thing that would go through without tumult -- at least
initially.  Certainly, even those privately opposed would be more likely to
think to themselves, "Well, let's give this a try and we'll see in a couple
weeks whether this is good or bad -- only time will tell," than to post
flamage.  But by then it could be too late.

--Todd