 General / 861
Re: Should RTL be hosted on this server?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Sun, 29 Nov 1998 03:28:17 GMT

Todd Lehman wrote:

Hello Lugnetters,

I need help making a very important decision regarding the NNTP server here,
and I'd like to hear any opinions and random thoughts you might have.

If RTL were hosted on this news server, would that clearly be a good thing,
or a bad thing, or would it make no difference in anyone's lives?

This is a question worthy of some thought. Nevertheless, I'm gonna share
my gut reactions now, and think about it and probably post again. Call
it intuition vs. deliberation... What follows is the intuition part.

My gut reaction is no. I can see why JSA wants to abstain (1) but I feel
I have to comment. After all, this is related to what I do for a living,
and Todd and I have exchanged thoughts on community building before.

Although it would be a relatively simple technical action, I think it would
be wise to solicit input and discussion before just jumping in and doing it
for the sake of doing it.  That is, I'd like to understand the potential
positive and negative consequences of the action, and for us as a community
(collective mind) to decide whether or not it might be a good thing to do.

This sentiment is admirable, and why we all kind of like you a little,
but ultimately it's your decision, you know.

Personally, I think I'd like to see it if it didn't create a whole new set
of problems (therein lies the concern).  I am certain that it would save me
time because I wouldn't have to go start up another session to read it from
my other ISP, and other people have said it would save them time (and even
money in some cases), but the larger issues of community-building may be
more important in the long run than saving a bit of time or money.

I'm not sure why this saves all that much time... at least for me, I
tend to only read  one group at once. Anyway, the way I have NS
communicator (4.5 on NT 4.0) configured, I just bounce from the server
where rtl is (for me, it's news.ctp.com) to this one.

However, with RTL hosted on the same server, I can cross post, and quote
articles easier, that's true.

But those are technical reasons and technical issues. To me the crux is
not technical.

What do you think?  Does it make things better or worse for you, easier or
harder for you?  Is it a potentially dangerous idea or is it clearly a
win-win for everyone?

Would it foster animosity and boundaries or would it bring people still
closer together?

Would it be so good that it would be far more harmful _not_ to do it?

Might it be harmful to people who frequent RTL only and who do not frequent
the groups here?  Or would it help them?

I see it as harmful to the special thing that's growing here, and that
seems to be dying out on RTL.  RTL seems to be turning into a far less
friendly place than it used to be and a far less useful place as well.
Frankly, I think requiring real names, and acknowledgement of terms and
conditions, and so forth is a good thing. Call me elitist. I am, and
proud of it, too.

Now some might say that the good atmosphere of LUGNET will fix the bad
one of RTL. But I don't want to take the risk. I don't want the
flamewars and chaff here. LUGNET isn't mature enough to carry the load
of fixing RTL yet.

I'm thinking that if it were hosted here, then for legal reasons it would
need to be hosted in the manner of a classic Usenet newsgroup, namely...

   1.  Articles expire from the server after 2-3 weeks.

   2.  Articles are not archived.  (They'd be archived and searchable on
       Deja News anyway.)

These are, in essence, the same thing. There is no legal or even
"customary" requirement that you expire articles. As the server
administrator of the server hosting the group, it's your decision. You
may want to, but you don't have to. When I worked at IBM, the articles
on certain groups were never expired by the IBM news server
administrator, because we IBMers wanted to be able to go back and find
them again. (these were technical groups that were relatively high S/N
ratio, like, at the time, comp.lang.c++... but the example is valid
nonetheless)

   3.  No from-line verification or content-based message rejection; anyone
       posting is automatically passed, and binaries & HTML are passed as
       well.

This is probably more expected, but even this one is still your choice.
After all, the reader/poster of the article is there at your sufferance.
It is not unheard of for a particular server to have outbound or inbound
restrictions. You cannot prevent someone from posting a binary if they
post to another server, but you can stop them posting it to your server.
Further you can filter the article if you wish so it never appears.
There is no legal prevention on doing so, although you may get some
flamage.

Again, drawing from the IBM example, there were bans on posting things
to certain groups, even though they were carried by the server, and
certain groups had topic bans. Finally, an overall ban was in effect on
posting in a way that made it appear that you were stating an official
position of IBM. I know of at least one person who got into serious,
serious trouble for violating that one.

The advantages of hosting RTL here:

   1.  Increases availability of RTL.

   2.  People who read news here can read RTL here as well (and post) if
       they like.

1,2 yes.

   3.  Brings RTL closer to LUGNET and reduces fragmentation of the
       online LEGO-fan community.

3 maybe, but if it fails, it may destroy what is starting to blossom
here, but still fragile. Is it worth the risk (yet? Maybe later??)

Possible disadantages:

   1.  Potential for confusion about where to post new threads when posting
       on this server (particularly lugnet.general vs. rec.toys.lego).

   2.  Potential for confusion about crossposting.

   3.  Possible resentment and repeated questions from people who may feel
       sleighted by the fact that their pure-RTL articles are not archived
       along with the other lugnet.* newsgroups.

   4.  Possible resentment, confusion, and repeated questions from people
       who post to RTL all the time and then get rejected when posting to
       a lugnet newsgroup because they haven't yet gone through the
       news-posting setup.

     5.  The riff-raff factor. A barrier to entry can be a good thing,
if it filters out the right sort. And it can be a bad thing if it
excludes the good.

More later.

- This is a family newsgroup, thanks.