 General / 1371
Re: Should RTL be hosted on this server?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Sat, 12 Dec 1998 05:26:57 GMT

If RTL were hosted on this news server, would that clearly be a good thing,
or a bad thing, or would it make no difference in anyone's lives?

It would be a good thing for me, I have trouble with newsreaders - my Netscape
one doesn't work anymore, and for some reason Dejanews doesn't either.

  3.  No from-line verification or content-based message rejection; anyone
      posting is automatically passed, and binaries & HTML are passed as
      well.

I dont' know if I agree with this.  Can you restrict HTML and binaries since
they are not allowed by the FAQ?

The advantages of hosting RTL here:

  1.  Increases availability of RTL.

Yes.  I would definitely benefit from it and would actually be able to post to
RTL again.

  2.  People who read news here can read RTL here as well (and post) if
      they like.

Yep.  I like it centralized.

  3.  Brings RTL closer to LUGNET and reduces fragmentation of the
      online LEGO-fan community.

Ditto.

Possible disadantages:

  1.  Potential for confusion about where to post new threads when posting
      on this server (particularly lugnet.general vs. rec.toys.lego).

Yep.  An FAQ?  There could be a statement at the top of the RTL/lugnet.general
windows clarifying this.

  2.  Potential for confusion about crossposting.

A detailed information document should solve confusign.

  3.  Possible resentment and repeated questions from people who may feel
      sleighted by the fact that their pure-RTL articles are not archived
      along with the other lugnet.* newsgroups.

I don't understand this one...

  4.  Possible resentment, confusion, and repeated questions from people
      who post to RTL all the time and then get rejected when posting to
      a lugnet newsgroup because they haven't yet gone through the
      news-posting setup.

Interesting.  This is one to think about.  They should understand after a
while that they have to go through the process.  Or you could have a message
about going through the process when a message is rejected.

Go for it, Todd!  It would help me sooo much to have it.  And not to mention
unifying the groups.

-Tim
http://www.zacktron.com - Coming Soon!
http://trc.osiriscomm.com