 General / 973
Re: Should RTL be hosted on this server?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Tue, 1 Dec 1998 03:36:29 GMT

Todd Lehman wrote in message <3662a9e2.2109338@lugnet.com>...

:I think it used to be -- at least we
:heard happy stories from time to time -- that people with limited
interest
:in LEGO would stumble into RTL and then discover how wonderful LEGO &
RTL
:really are and become much more "into" LEGO as an adult fan -- they
realized
:as they stayed around in RTL for a month or two how truly deep the
hobby is.
:

Well, Todd, I'd like to start by thanking you for putting in all the
work on Lugnet.

Compared to lots of people on RTL and Lugnet, I'm a newbie. But mainly
by lurking I've learned lots and am in to LEGO about as deep as I want
to (or can afford to) go. RTL had a big role in reaffirming my
awakening interest. I still think that it has some big advantages.
There are still a few days when the traffic over there is more
interesting than over here.

:
:What if a subset of RTL message were carried here -- for example only
:messages that were pure ASCII text (no HTML/MIME/binaries) and only
messages
:that were posted by people who've gone through the Lugnet
news-posting
:setup?
:
:Would something like that be helpful or harmful here?  Would it be
helpful
:or harmful to RTL?

:

The only advantage I see for this is to Lugnet only readers. It will
do more to turn RTL into a total wasteland. (It would be nice to have
things sorted by topic, though.)

What about trying to increase the signal to noise ratio on RTL by
sending out more signals to RTL? I mean what if several of the "high
content" contributors routinely cross-posted to RTL when posting here?
(This would give opportunity to post the Lugnet intro that Larry did a
great job on.)

:
:If it did happen, one downside would be that people posting messages
to RTL
:and reading RTL here only would not see all of the replies to their
:messages.  It would be like killfiling everyone who hadn't gone
through the
:news-posting setup here.
:

I think this is a problem. To some extent I already experience it.
Often I've seen replies to posts for which I could not find the posts
in my newsreader. Maybe others already have the same problem. It is
irritating.

:
:If it was going be carried _only_ here, there wouldn't be any point
because
:it wouldn't be any different from the other groups here.  The larger
issue
:is whether or not to let RTL/Usenet drift further and further apart
from the
:private newsserver here, or to prevent drift as much as possible and
keep
:the two communities united.
:
:I never wanted there to be two communities.  Rather, one community
with two
:meeting places (the groups here and RTL).
:

I'd like the same. I like the Lugnet organization a lot. I also like
that it is potentially moderated to cool off the flaming. But I still
read the RTL messages for the headers that look interesting to me.

I hope that we can find a way to maintain the flow of fresh blood and
ideas. I've been part of online groups that died out because the same
old debates raged on over and over, and too few people would do
anything but flame the newbies with the questions no one wanted to
debate. If newbies are more likely to find RTL than Lugnet (and I
don't know that that is true) then let's work to make RTL healthier.
(If it is not true, then let's let RTL die. I'm tired even of the
Furby subject lines.)

To draw an analogy with a gated community or a private homeowners
association, if the gate is only used to keep out the real
troublemakers and it is still an inviting place for passers-by, then
Lugnet is all we need. (Of course that puts lots of weight on your
shoulders.)

Let's face it, community has to be fostered and preserved. Lugnet,
being a private deal has that built in. Anyone who wants *RTL* to
survive will have to read it and post to it. One way to clean it up is
for us to stop trashing it. When the stupid subject header has 8,000
I's, don't even read it. When people flame don't respond at all. Won't
the idiots get the message? Some of the people who love the purity of
Lugnet so much have also put out some harsh stuff on RTL. Of course we
all have bad days or bad weeks, but maybe that's a good time just to
lurk.

Plus, I suspect that traders and sellers will want new people to
provide and purchase parts. If Lugnet becomes too cocoonish, people
will keep RTL alive with trades. (viz. the discusssion about RTL being
built around commerce).

DJ Zorn