 General / 924
Re: Should RTL be hosted on this server?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Mon, 30 Nov 1998 11:07:59 GMT

Todd Lehman wrote in message <3661db44.25869828@lugnet.com>...

Other than that, would 99% percent of RTL'ers really be able to tell the
difference one way or the other?

Not directly, no...  But the larger issue of whether RTL and LUGNET are
perceived as separate or connected communities is what's at stake.

Interesting, especially when most of the messages so far are about
technology more than community.  Do you think people are going to think
differently about RTL if it's moved?  Personally, I didn't know you ran it
until this thread came up.  It doesn't appear to me that it would make a
difference as long as the name stayed RTL.  People won't know the difference
and won't really care, beyond a few people who will worry that some
fictional "natural rights" are getting violated by letting you host it.

As for RTL and Lugnet being a community or not, I think we should leave that
to the evolution of the groups and see what happens (although allowing
crossposting might expand the numbers of people coming over to Lugnet).

Personally, I like the idea of being separate from RTL, and being a place
where the people are a little more serious about Lego (not to mention the
lack of spamming and flaming).  Right now Lugnet just isn't the place where
threads like "special boxes," "a female lego lover's rant" or "Lando
Calrissian" can thrive, and I like it that way.  I think part of that is
because the "barrier" to entry keeps out a lot of shoot-from-the-hip
commentators, as well as those who don't understand etiquette well enough to
keep that off groups like these.

As long as it stays this way, I'll be happy.  And right now I can't see how
changing servers will change anything.

Jesse

Jesse The Jolly Jingoist
Looking for answers?