 General / 917
Re: Should RTL be hosted on this server?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Mon, 30 Nov 1998 05:02:51 GMT

Todd Lehman wrote:

<snip>

The advantages of hosting RTL here:

   1.  Increases availability of RTL.

For me, and many others with terrible newsservers, this is a big
advantage.  I have to use Dejanews to read RTL if I want to stay current
with posts.  While I like Dejanews as an archiving service, it is not
ideal to use it as a news reading service because it is web-based and
slow on my machine.  I use lynx, a text-based web-browser, to speed
things up; but then I have to launch a graphical web-browser to post
via  "My Dejanews" because of the cookie requirement.  The upshot is
that I rarely post or reply to messages on RTL because it is too much of
a hassle.

   2.  People who read news here can read RTL here as well (and post) if
       they like.

And if the majority of people post and read from this server (which I
think a lot of ppl would), news would get delivered MUCH faster.  Even
faster than the 3-4 hours Dejanews' server typically takes to grab new
messages.  That's a big plus.

   3.  Brings RTL closer to LUGNET and reduces fragmentation of the
       online LEGO-fan community.

Yes, I agree.  After all, we all came from RTL originally anyway.  Now a
lot of people seem to want a separation - I say bring everyone into the
fold.  RTL will become whatever it becomes whether or not it is hosted
on Todd's server.  If it is hosted on LUGNET, there's more of a chance
for "power users" to post and influence RTL because it will be more
convenient for them to do so.

   4-?  [Your thoughts here]

I read through about 50 (WOW, I didn't read for a day and look what
happens - I thought the full-sized 1999 catalog had become available) of
posts about this topic and thought that a lot of good arguments had been
made on both sides of the issue before I posted this message.  I like
the idea of egalitarian standards and the coming together of a larger
community and I think hosting RTL would help bring this about.  I am
saddened by a lot of the flame wars and nonsense that gets posted to RTL
but, personally, would suffer through it for the sake of a larger goal
of having an inclusive and large community of online Lego users.

The cross-posting problem seems to be the largest technical hurdle to
surmount.  Isn't there a magic button that would refuse messages
cross-posted to RTL and LUGNET groups?

<snip>

--
Thomas Main