 General / 896
Re: Should RTL be hosted on this server?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Sun, 29 Nov 1998 23:56:17 GMT

James Seibert <james@vci.net> writes:

I am new to the newgroup, but have been using RTL extensively for some time.
The only way I found out about this set of newgroups was a post on RTL that
mentioned them. Active recruitment in RTL would be essential to bring new •                   ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
members into the fold of the Lugnet newsgroups. If it was just pure chance that •                                                                  ^^^^^^^^^^^
brought Lugnut to my attention, then how many others have slipped through the
cracks? Posting a "Join the Lugnut Newgroups" would be necessary every week. I •                                                          ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
hope people will find the message there and migrate here.

I know you are worried some people will find recruitment elitest, but if
written and handled with decorum, the perceptial problems would be minimal.
Openly asking everyones opinion on this matter is a clear indication of your
willingness to include all readers who reside here or at RTL.

I do not think RTL should be moved here, but we do need to recruit from RTL. •                                                              ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Only reading a random post brought me here and I consider myself lucky to have
found such a complex community. I owe you and all who helped you create this
site and newsgroups a humble debt of thanks.

Interesting...  OK, so there are still probably quite a few people out there
who don't read RTL regularly enough to have noticed that there are
specialized newsgroups here...  And there are also always new people showing
up in RTL from out of the blue.

What would be involved in recruiting people?  Is there anyone who could
volunteer to write up a short informational message suitable for periodic
posting?  (It won't be taken seriously if I'm the one who's written it and
posts it, so that's why I ask.)

I agree about it needing to be handled with decorum so that it didn't sound
elitist -- or annoying -- or like spamming.  Even if elitism is a good thing
as Larry suggests, I think far and away most people perceive that label to
be a negative thing, and I think perceptions are what matters for something
like this.

Indeed, it would need to be worded in such a way that people clearly
understood that it was informational rather than a persuasive message.
Something along the lines of recruitment/advocacy without sounding fanatical
or forceful...

Any takers?  Would it be a good thing?

--Todd