 General / 897
Re: Should RTL be hosted on this server?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Sun, 29 Nov 1998 22:55:09 GMT

Todd Lehman writes:

Simon Denscombe:
I think it would be a good thing preventing the death of RTL as everyone
leaves and moves to LUGNET.
Is that the general perception -- that everyone is slowly leaving?  If it
is the general perception, then it may become a self-fulfilling prophecy.

It's my perception anyway, I have heard many people saying that they no longer
post to RTL.

[...]
It would prevent the split currently underway, the "I only have time for
one of them" people who choose LUGNET.
It may also have the opposite effect -- if RTL is hosted here and it gives
those people and excuse to start checking out the groups here because they
can get it all from one source, they may discover that they enjoy the
lugnet.* groups more than rec.toys.lego, and totally stop reading RTL.

Well not if RTL was used instead of lugnet.general (but as has been said they
have different purposes), then LUGNET people would still post to RTL
preventing the death.

Is that a possibility as well?  Might it in fact accelerate rather than
decelerate the "death" of RTL?

Yes if RTL and lugnet.general co-existed.

[...]
There would also be a community in RTL for newbies to join, if all th
good people move here, then 'recruitment' would be almost zero, no-one
would become involved and so the amount of LEGO InterNet people would
decrease.
I'm interested in hearing more about this 'recruitment' -- can you give some
examples of how people have recruited others in the past.
--Todd

Maybe recruitment was a bad word.  What I meant was when newbies first
discover RTL they will see what is there, not what was there and so if nothing
is there they will leave not knowing about a good LEGO Community.  I don't
think that LUGNET 'adverts' will work either - newbies may not know or be
bothered to set it up.

If all the respected RTLlers move here as they have done so the quality of RTL
will degrade further.  I don't think if it continues and I had first
discovered RTL in 6 months time (*) I would have not posted and not known
about this great group of people.

Carbon 60

(*)  This is based on the fact that flame wars are more common - Special
Boxes, eep2, a Female Lovers Rant (they tried to stop the flamage - it failed)
and now the |||||||||||||| thread.

This is all IMO - feel free to comment, I learned the fact that
lugnet.general and RTL should be considered very different.