 General / 953
Re: Can RTL be turned round? (was Re: Should RTL be hosted on this server?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Mon, 30 Nov 1998 19:31:22 GMT

Larry Pieniazek writes:
<snip>
Is it possible that we all treated RTL more carefully back when it was
the only game in town? Possibly people were protective of it and spent
time answering newbie questions and suasing people because if they
didn't, it would deteriorate and there was no alternative.
Not only possible, but IMO true. Snobbery arrives subtlely. :)

But now, we have bright shiny well organised well behaved LUGNET. Who
cares about RTL? Old timers get snappish, or even dive into flame fests
because it's fun to flame. I myself said I wanted it around "to go
slumming". Now that I reflect, that statement kind of scares me.
Ya, well, you're only saying that because it's true ;-)  It seems as though a question like, "Where can I get black helmets?" ellicits an internal (and perhaps eternal) response from me, "Check the catalog there Nimrod." It's share of folks who don't do their homework but could, gets me down, as well as nit picking for real reason. (1) LUGnet vs RTL seems like corporate video teleconferencing vs citizen's band radio.

IMO, RTL is like a smorgasbord: take what you want and ignore the rest. In fact, some stuff you'd better not have seconds on or else you'll regret it. (2) It seems a pain to keep track of names/handles of (at least) disagreeable folks, but some folks love to argue and/or don't know how to do it intelligently. Need I mention Special Boxes, the thread from hell's septic tank?

Maybe we need a specialized code, like citizen's band, so that new or uninformed people will ask, "What does mean?", thereby prompting a response that says, "Check the FAQ at www.faq.com." Probably a stupid idea though. 10-4, there good buddy.

-Tom McD.
tfn, radiotitan@yahoo.com
http://mbr-hobby.neotown.com/radiotitan/lego/lego.html

(1) This is sometimes unavoidable, not knowing a person's tolerance for detail, but should be expected, as anyone who spends significant time with lego is in IMO detail-concerned anyway.
(2) Stay away from the cajun-style sauerkraut.