 General / 965
Re: Should RTL be hosted on this server?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Mon, 30 Nov 1998 22:37:10 GMT

Todd Lehman wrote in message <3663128b.28905770@lugnet.com>...
Which brings up a point: is recognizing message cancels from usenet
going to be a problem?

Yes, that's a sticky issue.  I think (I'm not sure) that it would take a
real newsfeed of 'rec.toys.lego' and 'control' to ensure proper canceling.
If it just grabs messages from some upstream node and then reoffers them
like a caching NNRP server, cancels may not work.  Matt, is that right?
Is it a horrible terrible thing if cancels don't work?  Do most cancels
these days arrive before the messages they're cancelling (spam)?

This is true, you would need to take control.cancel and rec.toys.lego if you
wanted every single cancel.  You probably wouldn't want to do that, since
the last statistics that I saw said that about 1/3rd of Usenet traffic is on
control.cancel (vs a tiny tiny tiny amount of traffic on rec.toys.lego).

If you get rec.toys.lego from an upstream node which already processes the
cancels, and the cancels get to the upstream node before the messages then
you should be okay.  This depends a lot on what sort of upstream node you
are dealing with... ones which are running NNRP type systems will do that,
but pure NNTP servers (not dealing with clients) probably don't process
cancels.  They just want to move traffic as quickly as possible.  Talk to
your ISP and see how they have their system setup.

Finally, have you considered the possibility of setting up another NNTP
server just for rec.toys.lego?  Crossposting wouldn't be a problem, and it
provide a clear line between lugnet and RTL.  Most modern clients (Outlook
Express, Netscape, slrn at least) handle multiple servers pretty well.  If
you really wanted you could even put them into the same namespace by using
nntpcache or another caching server to put them into the same namespace.  I
assume that modern versions of INN allow you to run multiple NNTP servers on
one box... the NNTP software that I worked on for the past couple of years
did.  I know that you can run nntpcache and INN on the same box.

alex