 General / 963
Re: Should RTL be hosted on this server?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Mon, 30 Nov 1998 22:55:15 GMT

blisses@worldnet.att.net (Steve Bliss) writes:

Let me see if I correctly understand what you're saying.  In other words,
if something originates outside of this newsserver, the newsserver should
map/truncate
  Newsgroups: rec.toys.foo,rec.toys.foo,comp.lang.foo,lugnet.foo
to simply
  Newsgroups: rec.toys.lego
before injecting the article?  I totally agree with that.

Actually, I just meant it should just *ignore* the extra entries in the
Newsgroups header.  But that doesn't make sense, especially after your
further discussion about the evils of having separated threads spawned
from cross-posted messages.  Dropping/Chopping the extra newsgroups
(especially if they were usenet newsgroups) would be against NNTP
guidelines, I believe.

So it comes down to this: would we rather lose the ability to cross-post
to RTL, or allow the possibility of the unwashed 2% overflowing from RTL
to lugnet.*?

I'm pretty sure what the majority of other lugnet'ers will say on this
one, but I'm not sure of my own position.

By "unwashed" I take it you mean those who haven't completed the
news-posting setup?  Or do you mean Larry's version of "unwashed"?

[I wrote stuff about auto-splitting the RTL feed into multiple ngs.]
You wanna take on writing that AI filter and providing tech support for it?
=:*)p

Nope.  But you've already got the analysis tools to detect binaries (I'm
including HTML posts in this group -- make a rec.toys.lego.html if you
want).  *.market posts could be detected by looking for keywords in the
subject and body.  *.spam could look for subject keywords, excessively
long Newsgroups headers, etc.

But doesn't that validate and/or encourage the practice of posting HTML,
binaries, spam, etc.?

Which brings up a point: is recognizing message cancels from usenet
going to be a problem?

Yes, that's a sticky issue.  I think (I'm not sure) that it would take a
real newsfeed of 'rec.toys.lego' and 'control' to ensure proper canceling.
If it just grabs messages from some upstream node and then reoffers them
like a caching NNRP server, cancels may not work.  Matt, is that right?
Is it a horrible terrible thing if cancels don't work?  Do most cancels
these days arrive before the messages they're cancelling (spam)?

--Todd