 General / 964
Re: Should RTL be hosted on this server?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Mon, 30 Nov 1998 23:05:23 GMT

mattdm@mattdm.org (Matthew Miller) writes:

Todd Lehman <lehman@javanet.com> wrote:
Let me see if I correctly understand what you're saying.  In other words,
if something originates outside of this newsserver, the newsserver should
map/truncate
   Newsgroups: rec.toys.foo,rec.toys.foo,comp.lang.foo,lugnet.foo
to simply
   Newsgroups: rec.toys.lego
before injecting the article?  I totally agree with that.

Hmmm. I'm not sure I like that. If I go to the trouble of explicitly saying
where a message should go (and if it's somewhere that that message has
every right to be) it seems like the server is making a mistake if it loses
some of my instructions.

I don't think I like it either...  Not because I'm morally against modifying
NNTP headers on a private server (I would be in Usenet context) but because
of the confusion which would ensue (more below).

[...]
Another thing to consider is messages posted via people's NNRP caching
servers, which might contain both lugnet and public usenet newsgroups.
If you're "splitting" cross-posted messages, you're going to get very weird
behavior here.

Yeah, splitting is definitely right-out.

And allowing crossposting from some people and not from others is right-out.

Both lead to weird, gunky, frustrating behaviors.

So either crossposting has to be allowable for everyone or no one.

And it can't be allowable for everyone, because people who haven't gone
through the news-posting setup <http://www.lugnet.com/news/post/setup/>
can't post to any lugnet.* groups (by design).

So crossposting is between lugnet.* groups and non-lugnet.* groups is out.

But crossposting among purely lugnet.* groups is OK.

And if ever there are other Usenet groups hosted here (who knows?), then
crossposting purely among them would be OK.

Simple to explain to people?  Or a can of worms?

Small enough can of worms that the disadvantages are outweighed by the
advantages?

--Todd