 General / 958
Re: Should RTL be hosted on this server?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Mon, 30 Nov 1998 19:48:30 GMT

Todd Lehman <lehman@javanet.com> wrote:
Let me see if I correctly understand what you're saying.  In other words,
if something originates outside of this newsserver, the newsserver should
map/truncate
  Newsgroups: rec.toys.foo,rec.toys.foo,comp.lang.foo,lugnet.foo
to simply
  Newsgroups: rec.toys.lego
before injecting the article?  I totally agree with that.

Hmmm. I'm not sure I like that. If I go to the trouble of explicitly saying
where a message should go (and if it's somewhere that that message has
every right to be) it seems like the server is making a mistake if it loses
some of my instructions.

crossposting, does it mean that messages crossposted have to appear in two
locations with actually different Newsgroups headers?  (I think so.)  If
that's true, I think it's going against the NNTP specs (maybe not, but it's
very odd anyway).  It would also waste disk space because crossposting is

Yeah -- a mess.

So...  Do you think it would be accepted or flamed by people if
rec.toys.lego were carried here, but you couldn't crosspost between a
lugnet.* group and RTL?  The server would actually have to -reject- the
message.

Another thing to consider is messages posted via people's NNRP caching
servers, which might contain both lugnet and public usenet newsgroups.
If you're "splitting" cross-posted messages, you're going to get very weird
behavior here.