 General / 961
Re: Should RTL be hosted on this server?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Mon, 30 Nov 1998 20:28:34 GMT

Once upon a time, lehman@javanet.com (Todd Lehman) wrote:

Let me see if I correctly understand what you're saying.  In other words,
if something originates outside of this newsserver, the newsserver should
map/truncate

  Newsgroups: rec.toys.foo,rec.toys.foo,comp.lang.foo,lugnet.foo

to simply

  Newsgroups: rec.toys.lego

before injecting the article?  I totally agree with that.

Actually, I just meant it should just *ignore* the extra entries in the
Newsgroups header.  But that doesn't make sense, especially after your
further discussion about the evils of having separated threads spawned
from cross-posted messages.  Dropping/Chopping the extra newsgroups
(especially if they were usenet newsgroups) would be against NNTP
guidelines, I believe.

So it comes down to this: would we rather lose the ability to cross-post
to RTL, or allow the possibility of the unwashed 2% overflowing from RTL
to lugnet.*?

I'm pretty sure what the majority of other lugnet'ers will say on this
one, but I'm not sure of my own position.

[I wrote stuff about auto-splitting the RTL feed into multiple ngs.]
You wanna take on writing that AI filter and providing tech support for it?
=:*)p

Nope.  But you've already got the analysis tools to detect binaries (I'm
including HTML posts in this group -- make a rec.toys.lego.html if you
want).  *.market posts could be detected by looking for keywords in the
subject and body.  *.spam could look for subject keywords, excessively
long Newsgroups headers, etc.

Which brings up a point: is recognizing message cancels from usenet
going to be a problem?

Steve