 General / 939
Re: LUGNET Blurb (was Re: Should RTL be hosted on this server?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Mon, 30 Nov 1998 15:38:52 GMT

Larry,

This is a great start!  My edits/suggestions/comments below...

--Todd

Larry Pieniazek <lpien@ctp.IWANTNOSPAM.com> writes:
-- begin --

To old and new readers of RTL:
  ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
I wonder if there is another salutation which would suggest inside-hood --
such as "fellow RTL'ers:" -- rather than possible outside-hood...?  Not that
what's there is bad or anything, but I think it misses an opportunity for
you to make it clear between the words that you are and have long been an
RTL'er and aren't an outsider to RTL...

There is another place to share the joy of Lego, make friends, share •            ^^^^^^^^^^^^^
ideas, and participate in our special community. LUGNET is a privately
                            ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
I *really* like "another place...our special community" in the context of a
message posted to RTL...  In my mind, it suggests that the community is the
entire community of LEGO fans online worldwide -- including LUGNET and RTL
and not just one or the other.

[As long as "another" is read as "an additional" and not as "a different".
Any ambiguity there can probably be gotten rid of by emphasizing that many
of the people who hang out on RTL also hang out at LUGNET.]

hosted, fan created nexus on the net. It features searchable information
on sets, inventories of parts, information on themes, archives of the
RTL Roll Call, a Cool Site of the Week, and discussion groups.
                 ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^      ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
          the Cool LEGO Site of the Week      news/discussion groups

The discussion groups are organized by subject and category

Maybe a couple examples would help -- the big 5 specialty groups are
Mindstorms/Robotics, Trains, CAD stuff, marketplace, and the collection of
loc.* groups for major cities around the world.

These groups are accessible three ways:
One is the same way you're reading this post, via an NNTP server.
Another is via a web interface.
Finally, you can access these groups via a mail/subscription interface.

Full instructions on how to begin accessing these groups are at
http://www.lugnet.com/news/

To use the searchable set database, see
http://www.lugnet.com/pause/search
                                    ^
  http://www.lugnet.com/pause/search/  (trailing slash)

To learn more about LUGNET, run by Todd Lehman and Suzanne Rich, see
http://www.lugnet.com
                       ^
  http://www.lugnet.com/  (trailing slash)

I encourage you to investigate the LUGNET community. You'll find many of
the same faces you see here.

-- end --

I suggest that people post proposed revisions as replies and we can
jointly edit this into something we all agree on. For starters, what did
I leave out? What did I overemphasise? Where does it switch from neutral
to advocacy?

I think it switches from neutral to advocacy in the last paragraph.  The
sentence about finding many of the same faces is a nice touch.  Maybe the
sentence prior to it isn't necessary; maybe the message itself is evidence
of your encouragment to investigate.  Would it work if the last sentence
were worked into the first paragraph somewhere?  Would seem OK to me if the
ending were dry with no summary and just ending with URLs...