 General / 1357
Re: Should RTL be hosted on this server?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Fri, 11 Dec 1998 21:33:57 GMT

Speaking for myself, I feel RTL should not be carried here, and membership
should be sought other ways (1).

Again, the advantages of carrying rec.toys.lego here include:

- convenience for people who read Lugnet.* groups who currently have to
   use two news servers for their LEGO news.

I am not particularly sympathetic to this, and for me it is not a concern.

- help people who are missing out on Lugnet.* groups
   because they've decided its too much work for them to maintain two
   newsserver configurations.

Too much work to configure two readers? But not to much work to wade through
RTL everyday... they chose poorly in my opinion.

- slow, halt, or reverse the "brain drain" away from rec.toys.lego

I think it should be cut loose to provide whatever service it can to whoever
it can.  If it does not attract the "brains" there is a reason.  It is not
by chance that certain people have left.  Carrying it here might only
prolong the inevitable drain.

Given the concept...

  "The rec.toys.lego Usenet newsgroup is carried at the lugnet.com
   newsserver."

I believe it would be essentially an area of lower quality that will be used
by Lugneters to post sales and auctions to get as large a coverage of
potential buyers as possible.  I suppose that if it was here on Lugnet you
would capture those people who will only read one of the groups if they
aren't in a single location, and have chosen RTL.  I just don't understand
why, if they can only view one, they would choose RTL (my personal
confusion).

LINC

1. not that membership was the main reason behind considering carrying RTL
on Lugnet.