 General / 1655
Re: LUGNET Blurb (was Re: Should RTL be hosted on this server?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Mon, 28 Dec 1998 07:01:17 GMT

Well, we didn't finish this, did we? Here is a revised copy of the blurb
incorporating all the changes I could find. Do people think with these
revisions, it's good to go?

-- start --
To fellow RTL'ers:

There is another place to share the joy of Lego, make friends, share
ideas, and participate in our special community. The LUGNET newsgroups
are a privately
hosted, fan created nexus on the net. LUGNET also features searchable
information on sets, inventories of parts, information on themes,
archives of the RTL Roll Call, and the Cool Lego Site of the Week, as
well as news/discussion groups.

The discussion groups are organized by subject and category, so you are
almost certain to find information in your area of interest. For
example, there are general groups, and specialty groups like
Mindstorms/Robotics, Trains, CAD stuff, marketplace, and a collection of
loc.* groups for major cities around the world.

These groups are accessible three ways:
- One is the same way you're reading this post to RTL, via an NNTP
server.
- Another is via a web interface.
- Finally, you can access these groups via a mail/subscription
interface.

Full instructions on how to begin accessing these groups are at
http://www.lugnet.com/news/

To use the searchable set database, see
http://www.lugnet.com/pause/search/

To learn more about LUGNET, run by Todd Lehman and Suzanne Rich, see
http://www.lugnet.com/

Since the LUGNET newsgroups are hosted on a customized, privately owned
newsserver, there are a couple notable differences between RTL and the
LUGNET newsgroups:
- Everyone is expected to tell their real life name.
- Everyone can read the lugnet postings, but before posting new
  messages, you must agree to follow some basic rules of netiquette and
  agree to conditions of use.
- Postings appear instantly to all readers because everyone connects
  directly to the same central newsserver; there are no message
propagation
  delays or missed messages because your ISP didn't pick up some
  message(s).
- Because it is a privately owned newsserver, there is no guarantee that
  it will be around forever and ever.  However, the owners/operators are
  die hard LEGO fanatics and are committed to its ongoing existence.

I encourage you to investigate the LUGNET community. You'll find many of
the same faces you see here.
-- end --

- This is a family newsgroup, thanks.