 General / 1654
Re: Lego(r) Master Maniac designation?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Mon, 28 Dec 1998 02:30:08 GMT

Larry Pieniazek wrote:
Steve Jacquot wrote:

No, I don't. I agree with you that it should not be merit badge-ish. I
tried to address this by
a) offering alternatives: N pages OR CLSotW. You can win CLSotW with
just one page if it's cool enough. (consider the CNC machine. That site
was about 6 images when it won, and it was truly a worthy winner IMHO) I
in fact thought of only allowing CLSotW winners without the N pages
qualifying possibility, but thought that was exclusionary.

Point taken, although I see nothing wrong with limiting it just to
CLSotW winners, particularly since (with the 3/4 rule) that wouldn't
even be a necessary qualification.  But allowing the N page
alternative, as if that were in some way equivalent to CLSotW is
ludicrous, and invites abuse.  I would rather see candidates judged
on a body of work rather than a checklist, but if you're going to
have a checklist, then the 3/4 rule is a good idea, and if you have
the 3/4 rule then the requirements should be hard to meet.

As LMM, yes. It means mastery of the craft.

That gets back to the problem that many of the listed qualifications
have more to do with the hobby than with the craft.  Hosting a Legofest
is a fine thing and helps promote the hobby, but does it require
craftsmanship?  What precisely is this craft anyway?

No, I don't agree there. I in fact am looking for a Master's Guild
rather than an Oscar type of thing. But this is just a bouncearound at
this point.

Ok, try this: a two-tier guild membership.  Membership at the first
level (journeyman?) is relatively inclusive, but non-trivial: anybody
can get in if they're willing to work for it (something like the
N page website might even be appropriate here).  They will be self
selected, but people who have (one way or another) demonstrated
a commitment to the hobby.  As there is no special distinction
associated with membership, there is no invitation to abuse.

From their membership or (and this is the good part) from outside,
the journeymen can elect masters, based on a collected body of work.
This allows them to focus on true craftsmanship (as distinct from
all the hobby stuff) and also lets them recognize people who are (for
example) less net-privileged than the general membership.

They can also vote special honors for exceptional service.

This doesn't really address the issue of Technic/Mindstorms vs.
Everything Else, but I'll worry about that later.

What do you think, sirs?

--
Steve Jacquot
sj5w@virginia.edu