 General / 1652
Re: Lego(r) Master Maniac designation?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Mon, 28 Dec 1998 00:17:23 GMT

Larry Pieniazek writes:
James Brown wrote:

Create a model using at least n elements in 3/4 of the following catagories:
Minifig-scale building, functional technic vehicle, 'modern' town setting,
scale model of a real structure, 4.5v, 9v or 12v train system, any current • Lego
theme, any non-current Lego theme, functional technic tool or appliance, etc

YES! This in fact is what the NMRA Master Modeler has to do... you have
to make models of locomotives, of trackside structures, of passenger,
and of freights, as well as demonstrate ability to do scenery (Or at
least, several of these... I will dig up the ref)  I totally agree I
slanted it away from building, in retrospect, and that's not really what
I intended

After I posted this, I thought of another building criteria that is (IMO) very
stringent - as per the above, but using no _more_ than n pieces.

And just a note - since this is being aimed at the on-line community, it's
obviously going to be biased towards computer-related activities, but you • want
to be careful not to unfairly lock out the non-computer literate.

Good point. How do we do this?

Good question.  I don't think it's something that needs 'proactive action'(1)
just something to keep aware of when creating criteria - make more options that
aren't web-related, or perhaps, change the structure somewhat (he types
furiously as a new idea comes to him)

Rather than have a straight list of criteria, how about catagories (ie
'building' 'community support' 'cad-related' 'web-related' 'awards and
recognition') and say that a LMM must meet 90% of the criteria in all but
one or two catagories?

Oh, and a suggestion from the depths of my twisted mind - how about "Certified
Maniac" instead of "Master Maniac" - I've always wanted to be a certifiable
maniac. ;)

1: AAAH!  meaningless buzzword!  Run for your lives!