 General / 1722
Re: Lego(r) Master Maniac designation?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Wed, 30 Dec 1998 04:57:44 GMT

Matthew Verdier wrote in message ...
:Beaker wrote in message ...
:
:>I have a libertarian philosophy, and thus a lot of my sigs have drug
:>humor, ... I also have a couple that use profanity, and I am
:>equally unapologetic.  I maintain that the world is a big place, and
:>that if you want to be a part of it, you have to be prepared to
accept
:>alternate views and recognize the difference between 'different' and
:>'harmful' ... many people do not know the difference, I fear.
:
:The RTL acronym list has BFC as Big Freaking Castle, a phrase I
coined in my
:review on RTL of the Royal Knight's Castle.  Except I didn't use
Freaking.
:My language can be salty depending on my mood.  Hit a hot button and
watch
:out.  Personally, I always chuckle when Tony works up a good one.  I
admire
:well crafted phrases of all kinds, and that includes 'profanity'.  On
the
:other hand, people who can't go 3 words without using the f-word bore
me.
:It's like a recipe with 10 times too much salt.  Too much ruins the
flavor.
:
:In my opinion, if people think their children should never be exposed
:profanity or other adult topics, they should take steps to ensure
that never
:happens.  Step 1 and 2 in that quest should be to cut off all access
to the
:internet and cable television.  After performing those 2 steps,
parents have
:the right to complain when "bad" language is used in their children's
:presence and not before.
:
:Matthew Verdier

Well, Matt, my kids don't get on the internet, and I don't even have a
tv. But I don't see why the internet and tv should be the sole
province of the profane. Why not say the same for other public
accomodations? "Parents should cut off all access to public streets."
And post your bad moods somewhere else. We're not interested in what
kind of day you had.

Children will be exposed profanity and every other adult topic, that
does not mean that the producers of such stuff in every venue should
be excused or endorsed.

And Beaker, I share your libertarian philosophy. Since when did the
libertarian philosophy become an excuse for "as nasty as they want to
be"? There is a difference between liberty and licentiousness.

Y'all are forgetting the topic of this thread.

I'm not suggesting morally judging anyone. But we can judge behavior.

We are not talking about preventing people from posting. And I did not
suggest that anyone should apologize for such language. Post away. We
are discussing the designation of certain individuals as master
modelers for the purpose of lauding those who advance the hobby. Does
unnecessary profanity advance the hobby? No. Is its use in this forum
appropriate? No. Can people still post that type of stuff? Sure. But
we don't have to describe such a person as a master modeler. We don't
have to make excuses for behavior unbecoming the advancement of the
hobby.

This is the same group where we hear how bad RTL has gotten with
flames and how much we hate the spams. How is vulgarity any different?

I grew up hearing every foul, degrading, profane, blasphemous, nasty,
etc. word and phrase and I've heard many more since. They do not shock
or impress me. I don't think it is "harmful." I think it is pathetic
that such words are the best that people can think of.

DJ Zorn

To locate scans of official instructions
for discontinued sets only go to:
http://www.kl.net/scans/