 General / 1732
Re: Lego(r) Master Maniac designation?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Wed, 30 Dec 1998 14:57:45 GMT

"Matthew Verdier" <matthewv@digital.net> writes:

[...]
Good thing you are not suggesting preventing people from posting.  I don't
believe such things are open to debate on LUGNET, but Todd and Suzanne can
correct me if I'm wrong.  What does the language people use have to do with
their skills as a modeler?  Nothing.  Who says that it is inappropriate for
this forum?  If Todd and Suzanne say so, I'll go along with it.  And as far
as RTL goes, there is no greater bastion of free speech than usenet.  Those
who remember Mandroid will testify how difficult, if not impossible, it is
to shut up a truly annoying and disturbed individual who chooses to frequent
usenet.

Below is a snippet from the Terms of Use for lugnet.com.  Someone who is in
violation of these terms runs the risk of being kicked off the system.

Depending on the nature of violation, someone may need to be kicked off
instantly with no further warning (they'd have to do something pretty bad
for this), or maybe they would go through a public flogging or town-square
situation to decide what to do (like if they were normally an "upstanding
citizen" but just flew off the handle a couple times).  Certainly, someone
like a Mandroid would be kicked off quickly after a clear pattern of abuse
emerged.

Again, it all depends on the level of abuse, the level of complaints from
other people, and the amount of disruption someone might be causing.  There
haven't been any problems yet, so I can't cite any examples of flagrant
abuse or concrete examples of cause-and-effect.

Additionally, we don't want to (and can't, practically) police the groups,
so we hope that everyone can help keep an eye out for potty-mouths and help
keep things clean, mature, and friendly.

--Todd

DISCUSSION GROUP TERMS AND CONDITIONS

   LUGNET includes discussion groups which allow feedback and
   interaction between users.  LUGNET and its owners and/or operators
   do not control or censor messages, information, or files delivered
   to discussion groups.  It is a condition of your use of the
   discussion groups that you do not:

   [...]

   5.  Post or transmit any unlawful, threatening, abusive, libelous,
       defamatory, obscene, vulgar, pornographic, profane, or indecent
       information of any kind, including without limitation any
       transmissions constituting or encouraging conduct that would
       constitute a criminal offense, give rise to civil liability, or
       otherwise violate any local, state, national, or international
       law.