 General / 1644
Re: Lego(r) Master Maniac designation?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Sun, 27 Dec 1998 21:06:48 GMT

Larry Pieniazek wrote:

We don't have an official body or anything, and probably won't for some
time. But could we do something like a Master Modeler?

Thoughts?

A good idea, but it seems somewhat too merit badge-ish.  I can see
certain people doing things they otherwise never would have done, and
will never do again, just to check off one more item on your list.  Do
you really want to encourage people to add pages of filler to their web
sites, just to meet your requirement 1?  Is that the kind of person you
want to honor?

Also, the criteria are in some ways too rigid - what about the people
who do things you've never imagined?  I'm thinking of someone like Pete
Storonskij, <http://www.geocities.com/Area51/Stargate/1267/mylego.html>
who might qualify in only a few of the categories you've listed, but is
certainly a master of his craft.  Should he have to jump through hoops
qualify for recognition?

Beyond that, (and as James Brown has pointed out in a parallel comment)
it seems that many of these criteria have less to do with modeling than
with service to the hobby. I like the idea of recognizing service, but
that might be a separate award, equally prestigious, or at least as
exclusive.

Another issue is whether this should be differentiated by theme. It
seems to me that the skills of a master Technic/Mindstorms builder
are qualitatively different from the skills of a master of Everything
Else, and might properly be judged by different criteria or by a
different jury.

Whether there is one kind of award or two (or more), I would suggest
that the selection process be structured more towards seeking out worthy
recipients, rather than encouraging people to put themselves forward,
and also that it be very selective, but not elitist.  Perhaps selection
by open voting of no more than one or two recipients per year from a
short list of nominees proposed by a screening committee.  More like
the Oscars than any sort of Master's Guild, if that's what you had in
mind.

--
Steve Jacquot
sj5w@virginia.edu