 General / 1630
1629  |  1631
Subject:
Lego(r) Master Maniac designation?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Sun, 27 Dec 1998 02:47:46 GMT

(copy to be posted to rec.toys.lego as well)

In my recent post to raise interest and cross pollinate between
Rec.Models.Railroad, I called James Mathis a master builder, because I
think some of his stuff is really really good. I bet most of us could
name a few folks that fit that bill. But it's not an official
designation or anything.

That got me to thinking. The National Model Railroad Association has a
Master Builder designation. One gets it by demonstrating skill in
several areas, and it's not very easy to get. You have to place
significantly in several different modeling category competitions at
NMRA conventions at at least the regional level, as well as being active
in the hobby in other ways.

Another thing that got me to thinking was the list of contributions I
put up the other day...

We don't have an official body or anything, and probably won't for some
time. But could we do something like a Master Modeler? With the
inauguration of the LMDC, maybe we have something... what if to be a
"Master Maniac" you had to do (some of, say 3/4ths?? ) the following
(not all of these are competitions, just demonstrations of skills of
various sorts):

1) Create a website with N pages or M images,  OR win CLSotW (in lieu of
the N,M requirement) with your site.
2) Create a model with at least R parts in your choice of Cad programs,
OR win LMDC with a electronic image as your main model image, and in
either case post the model to lugnet.cat.dat
3) Submit a scan to Kev's site that was previously unfound, or an
improved scan for one that is of poor quality (Kev judges this one)
4) Run an auction with everyone that participated happy, your choice of
where
5) Win an LMDC (one catgory) at least once (or maybe just come in
second?)
6) Write a FAQ question and answer and get it accepted (FAQ owner judges
this one)
7) Win a robotics competition of some sort, OR develop a neat robot
application OR develop a new IDE or language.
8) Win an official LEGO contest, of any sort.
9) Get a model published by TLG in one of their publications
10) Get at least one column inch of notice in a newspaper with at least
1000 paid circulation.
11) Run a webring with at least 5 entries in it
12) Just BE in a webring that's LEGO themed
13) Host at least 2 legofests with at least 4 people in attendance
14) Meet at least 5 other RTLers in real life.
15) Attend some LegoLand more than once.
16) Develop at least 1 new LDraw part and get it accepted by the voters
17) Collect at least two different form letters from TLG explaining why
they're not going to do something most of RTL wants them to do.
18) Your idea here

Most of these are pretty clearcut as to whether you succeeded or not.

If there is general interest in this, perhaps we could develop a "MM"
badge that people could display on their site, and some enterprising
soul (me perhaps) could maintain a list of MMs and links to their sites.

Thoughts?

- This is a family newsgroup, thanks.