 General / 1631
Re: Two new Technic sets - Mini review
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Sun, 27 Dec 1998 03:03:34 GMT

Andrew Cooperman wrote:

Over the last few days I was able to find two new 1999 Technic sets.  I
found 8252 (Beach Buster) at my local Target and I picked up 8246 (Hydro
Racer) at the LIC here in Orlando (WDW).

The 8252 set is the blue and white police buggy that can be found in the
1999 catalog.  It has 168 pieces and costs $19.99.  This is one of three
sets in the 1999 lineup that has a modular design.  Sections of the model
can be attached to eachother in several different ways to make somewhat
different vehicles.  The attachments are made by two new elements:
complex-shaped blue trans "female" connectors and white "male" double pegs.
I think you can make out these parts in the catalog scans.  Two of the blue
trans pieces can be connected in multiple configurations.  It makes for a
decent model which also features a steering assembly very similar to the one
found on 8226 (Mud Masher).  One new Technic police figure is also included.

The packaging of this set is different from any other Technic set I've seen.
Each assembly is packed in its own baggy with a picture of the assembly on
the front.  One instruction booklet is provided with directions for each of
the assemblies.  This differs a bit from the Space Port set I have with
separate instruction booklets for each assembly.  No instructions for
alternate models are included.

The back of the box and back of the instruction booklet show 8252 in
addition to the other modular sets for 1999 (8253 and 8255).  All assemblies
from the three sets can be mixed and matched to make even more combinations.
Hopefully, we'll be able to easily get 8253 and 8255 through S@H if they're
not available in stores.  8253 is listed in the US catalog at www.lego.com
but 8255 can only be found in the European catalog on the website.

Also included is the 1999 Technic catalog including new pictures of 8448.
I've uploaded scans to Lugnet and hopefully they'll be posted soon.  (Thanks
Todd!)  There was also a new Technic S@H insert with 8446 ("Crane Truck",
573 pieces, US$63, available 8/99) and 8445 ("Indy Storm", 436 pieces,
US$44, available 8/99).

Other new elements in 8252 include L-shaped 90-degree angle beams and white
rocket nozzles (at least I think these are new).

8246 is the smallest of the new Technic sets (46 pieces) and its the first
"Micro-Technic"-type set sold in the US.  It is a cute little black and
yellow hovercraft that has 3 plastic wheels (no tires) one of which drives
the rear propeller via an o-ring and two bevel gears.  It cost $3.99.  No
alternate model instructions are included (a disturbing trend).  I must
admit that I like this set more than I expected to and I'm considering some
of the UK Micro-Technic sets from 1998.  Are these still available in the
UK?  How about Busy Bee?

The only new element in 8246 is a yellow one of the double pegs used to
connect the sections of 8252.  A screened 1x2 tile with a control panel is
also included.  Is this the first screened element in a Technic set?  I
can't recall any others.

If you mean an element with printing on it, there have been several.
White 2x2 round with a black grid on it is used for headlights in
several sets, although a specific reference is escaping me, I KNOW I've
parted at least two different sets out that had it. Also the newer red
cycle (8422 Circuit Shock Racer which is
http://www.lugnet.com/pause/search/?query=8422 ) used a convex bottom
2x2 round with headlights printed on it. And of course, the technic
figures have printed torsos and faces.

Also check out 8230, aren't those printed elements?

But I agree, printed elements are, thankfully, much rarer in Technic
sets than in general.

- This is a family newsgroup, thanks.