 General / 1726
Re: Lego(r) Master Maniac designation?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Wed, 30 Dec 1998 06:10:32 GMT

This isn't exactly where I wanted this conversation to go, I think there
are other, more important issues to thrash out, but I certainly don't
OWN it, it will go where it will.

That said, the following contributes to the tangentiality problem:

I'll stake my libertarianism up against just about anyone's, I guess,
and Beaker IS right. But I certainly would rather be able to point to
RTL as a civil place, an example of how polite people behave, and an
example of why LEGO is a good toy and a good outlet for the creative
urges of my children, than as another example of the world as it is when
it is at its worst. I know where to get those already should I need
them, thank you.

I don't shield my children from reality, but I certainly can suggest
that there are appropriate places for behaviours, and that I would
prefer that they hang out in places that recognise what polite behaviour
is. And, further, we are not ON RTL at the moment. I would 100% support
and welcome a ban on profanity on LUGNET, were it achievable(1).

I think if you review my writings you'll find that I don't use profanity
much here or on RTL, if at all. (2) Yet I think my feelings about
matters come through rather clearly, even (3) eloquently at times,
without the need for salty language. My spoken words are rather more
profane than my written, though.

With that said, I think the question of whether use of profanity should
or should not be measured, or even should or should not disqualify one,
hinges on what exactly the award or awards are trying to capture or
recognise. A person can be a thoroughly abominable human being and an
exquisite modeler at the same time.

But if service to the community is a recognised and valid criterion to
be used as part of a set of balanced criteria, I rather think we'd favor
the poster who is cheerful obedient and kind, rather than the poster who
scares the horses (and the newbies) away with choice of language.

So I don't know. Is it??? or only for the highest level?

1 - and I would remind you that I feel Todd has the right to institute
one should he choose to do so.

2 - I was going to make a blanket assertion but wasn't sure

3 - false modesty aside, not that I have any, because it's a flaw, and I
haven't any of those either

- This is a family newsgroup, thanks.