 General / 1758
Re: Lego(r) Master Maniac designation?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Thu, 31 Dec 1998 10:39:53 GMT

Matthew Verdier wrote:
I would
say if the community chooses to do this, everyone should very carefully
examine their personal motives for creating this award.  If you just want to
show appreciation for the good and hard work someone has done, that can be
accomplished by sending some email to the person saying great job.  If you
make this award a more 'official' way of doing that and make it a way of
drawing people in that is a good thing.

For what it's worth, this is pretty much exactly what I had in mind
(still not speaking for Larry).

If it becomes a way of excluding
'socially undesireable' people, I think it is a bad idea.

I agree absolutely with respect to the merit awards.  With respect
to the service award, I can't say that socially disruptive behavior
isn't relevant.  If someone thinks that bad language is particularly
damaging to the community, to the degree that it could outweigh a
potential honoree's good works, I can't say they're wrong.

proposed that it be voted by the broad-based general membership
of the yet-to-be-organized organization, so the voting members
could apply whatever criteria they like.

I can see this as nothing other than a popularity contest, if it is
implemented as you describe it.  Popularity contests are fine as long as you
recognize them as such, and don't try to pretend it is something else.

Since people who do good things tend to become popular, some aspect
of popularity is inevitable and appropriate.  I don't expect it to
be exclusively popularity based - there are several people I like,
but wouldn't consider eligible for this sort of award, and others who
are prime candidates, but aren't universally popular. I think most
people can understand the distinction.

I don't see how you can give an award from below.

Happens all the time.  You don't have to be a master carpenter to
know if a chair is any good (1).

For an award to be meaningful it has to be from people knowledgeable
on that topic.  Once you form that knowledgeable commitee to give out these
awards, it has the potential to become an elitist group.

I believe that the SIG members will collectively be sufficiently
knowledgeable to make such a decision.  They all will have at least
an interest in their field, and might possibly have some additional
qualifications (yet to be determined), and will have the benefit
of each others expertise.  This isn't the way crafts guilds usually
work, and it may not be what Larry had in mind (haven't heard from
him lately), but I think that it would work.

1- paraphrase of something I vaguely recall Dr Johnson having
   said in defense of literary critics.
--
Steve Jacquot
sj5w@virginia.edu