 General / 1653
Re: Strange set spotted at Target
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Mon, 28 Dec 1998 02:45:45 GMT

Barry McFarland writes:
Jim Baker writes:
I was in yet another Target tonight, looking in vain for a marked-down
Arachnoid Base, when I saw a 300-pc set called 'Cars and Planes Set' ...
it was really odd.   It had the customary Lego System logo, but there
was no set number and no 'official' piece count (I got the 300 from a
promotional sticker on the box).  It appeared that the set contained no
instructions, just a lot of wheels, wings and propellers for building
cars and planes.  The other odd thing about this set was the packaging
itself, which was clunky and ugly compared to normal Lego packaging.
There were 4 or 5 minifigs wearing green jumpsuits and one modified
Timmy, red hat, white shirt, green pants, Timmy head.  The copyright
date on the box was 1998.  I've never seen it in any catalog, and it's
got me thouroughly confused.  Can anyone shed some light?

My neighbor is the national rep for one of the major toy companies for the
Target chain.  Target "Strongly Urges" its major toy suppliers to repackage
sets that they may have in excess inventory or that were not good sellers and
then sell them as "generic" sets that are usually quite discounted.  The toy
manufacturers do not like this since a toy dollar spent on those items usually
reduces the dollars spent on new more costly branded items, but when you have
such a big customer....who can really refuse.

Tom Carman