 General / 869
Re: Should RTL be hosted on this server?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Sun, 29 Nov 1998 05:43:33 GMT

YES YES YES

that way I can crosspost!

KL

odd Lehman wrote:

Hello Lugnetters,

I need help making a very important decision regarding the NNTP server here,
and I'd like to hear any opinions and random thoughts you might have.

If RTL were hosted on this news server, would that clearly be a good thing,
or a bad thing, or would it make no difference in anyone's lives?

Although it would be a relatively simple technical action, I think it would
be wise to solicit input and discussion before just jumping in and doing it
for the sake of doing it.  That is, I'd like to understand the potential
positive and negative consequences of the action, and for us as a community
(collective mind) to decide whether or not it might be a good thing to do.

Personally, I think I'd like to see it if it didn't create a whole new set
of problems (therein lies the concern).  I am certain that it would save me
time because I wouldn't have to go start up another session to read it from
my other ISP, and other people have said it would save them time (and even
money in some cases), but the larger issues of community-building may be
more important in the long run than saving a bit of time or money.

What do you think?  Does it make things better or worse for you, easier or
harder for you?  Is it a potentially dangerous idea or is it clearly a
win-win for everyone?

Would it foster animosity and boundaries or would it bring people still
closer together?

Would it be so good that it would be far more harmful _not_ to do it?

Might it be harmful to people who frequent RTL only and who do not frequent
the groups here?  Or would it help them?

I'm thinking that if it were hosted here, then for legal reasons it would
need to be hosted in the manner of a classic Usenet newsgroup, namely...

   1.  Articles expire from the server after 2-3 weeks.

   2.  Articles are not archived.  (They'd be archived and searchable on
       Deja News anyway.)

   3.  No from-line verification or content-based message rejection; anyone
       posting is automatically passed, and binaries & HTML are passed as
       well.

   4-?  [What other properties would it have?]

...and these differences run the risk of creating a whole new set of social
problems.  (Perhaps solvable ones, but potential problems nonetheless.)

The advantages of hosting RTL here:

   1.  Increases availability of RTL.

   2.  People who read news here can read RTL here as well (and post) if
       they like.

   3.  Brings RTL closer to LUGNET and reduces fragmentation of the
       online LEGO-fan community.

   4-?  [Your thoughts here]

Possible disadantages:

   1.  Potential for confusion about where to post new threads when posting
       on this server (particularly lugnet.general vs. rec.toys.lego).

   2.  Potential for confusion about crossposting.

   3.  Possible resentment and repeated questions from people who may feel
       sleighted by the fact that their pure-RTL articles are not archived
       along with the other lugnet.* newsgroups.

   4.  Possible resentment, confusion, and repeated questions from people
       who post to RTL all the time and then get rejected when posting to
       a lugnet newsgroup because they haven't yet gone through the
       news-posting setup.

   5-?  [Your thoughts here]

--Todd