 General / 886
Re: Should RTL be hosted on this server?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Sun, 29 Nov 1998 18:35:04 GMT

Todd Lehman wrote in message <366163a8.4473573@lugnet.com>...

Here are a few comments that stand out in my mind -- things that get to
the heart of the matter on a social level.  I'd like to hear more opinions
on these points...

<snipped most of the discussion.....>

[...]
It would prevent the split currently underway, the "I only have time for
one of them" people who choose LUGNET.

It may also have the opposite effect -- if RTL is hosted here and it gives
those people and excuse to start checking out the groups here because they
can get it all from one source, they may discover that they enjoy the
lugnet.* groups more than rec.toys.lego, and totally stop reading RTL.

I'm not sure about this. I really enjoyed RTL for some time, did some
good trades, and shared a joke or two. I don't even look there anymore.
I think that cross-pollenation would occur if LUGNET groups were part
of the regular newsgroups, not the other way around. There is quite
a bit of setup required to configure your news reader to get LUGNET.

I really appreciate that Todd is hosting LUGNET and that he has taken the
time and trouble to neatly divide the group into areas of interest. There is no
reason that I can't subscribe to .build and .robotics and .publish if I feel
like I am interested.

All of the posters I have come to know as net friends seem to have moved to
LUGNET, and I have to say good riddance to those that stayed behind. Based
on the huge discussion that went on RTL before Todd brought the LUGNET groups
online, anyone has access to these groups.

Question...Why not send a monthly post to RTL and encourage newbies to come
on over and check out LUGNET. If they can't (or won't) bother to even look,
then they're not all that serious about our "hobby".

More comments?

Cheers,

Ralph Hempel - P.Eng

The train stops at the train station,