 General / 912
Re: Should RTL be hosted on this server?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Mon, 30 Nov 1998 04:00:53 GMT

Paul Foster wrote:

I don't think it would help this as you are still at the mercy of
message propagation, remember the messages won't be originating here.

If you and I are both reading RTL here, that means that THIS news server
is serving up the posts. If you post while reading HERE, the post will
go to this news server first (before being propagated outward in the
classic chaotic usenet fashion, and eventually reaching most/all news
servers that carry RTL). Thus, as soon as you post, if you were reading
here (and posting here first) I, if I am also reading here, will see
your post.

Hence reducing propagation delay to almost nil. If either of us is
reading somewhere else (and thus posting to some other server) the above
does not apply.

Hope that helps.

- This is a family newsgroup, thanks.