 General / 926
Re: Should RTL be hosted on this server?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Mon, 30 Nov 1998 11:29:04 GMT

Todd Lehman wrote in message <366163a8.4473573@lugnet.com>...

Is it possible ever that, as beliefs build that lugnet groups are more
serious or on-topic than RTL, that there will become an increased
segregation over time?

Yes.  But I wouldn't call the serious nature of the posts over here
"belief."  I'd call it fact.  How many flame wars have we had here in
Lugnet?  None.  How many off-topic.debate messages are in my folder right
now?  Probably none.

Does there exist the possibility someday for a flame war on RTL over which
venue is "better"?  (Certainly, opinions differ; do they differ enough to
begin driving a wedge?)

Perhaps, but it will boil down to the social anarchists who want to be able
to say anything to anybody versus those who are polite enough to live by the
rules of Lugnet.  Lugnet does run the risk of being labelled elitist by
some, but I don't like those types anyway.

The highest and most important goal and mission of LUGNET is to aggregate
community rather than to segregate it.

Nothing wrong with separating the sheep from the goats.

It's not an access issue, but a social and perception issue.  If RTL is
hosted here, do people begin to think of RTL as being a sub-community
under the (conceptually) larger LUGNET umbrella, or do people think of
the two as being separate and one of them possibly being elitist?

I think certain types will become convinced that Lugnet is trying to subvert
and control RTL if you do that.  Again, it will be the lunatic fringe, but
it will happen.

What concerns me here (and again, I'm not pointing any fingers) is what
happens as more and more people cross the line between "the quality of RTL
is starting to decay and that is sad" and "RTL has decayed and is no
longer worth anything and is a bunch of riff-raff."

Can you show me that it hasn't?

How far are we from that line now?  How many people have crossed that line?
Is it good if half of the people are on one side of the line and the other
half on the other side?  What happens if the observed "brain drain"
continues to the point where 80% of everyone has mentally crossed that
line?

I've crossed it.

The fact that a change is visible after only 60 days is interesting.
As the scale further tilts (if it continues to do so), what types of
people will it repel and what types of people will it attract?

It will attract serious Lego fans and repel those with only limited interest
in Lego.

But back to the word "crosscontamination."  Do people view the lugnet
newsgroups as being more clean or pure -- less contaminated?  Is there
such a huge difference that labels like "contamination" come readily to
mind for most people?  If yes, what is the impact of such labels on the
larger community of LEGO fans online?

Yes, yes, and I'm not sure, but it turned me off to RTL to see all the
spamming and flaming and totally non-Lego stuff (especially the sales
pitches for the toy sellers).

That's the big question:  Is more togetherness a step forward or a step
backward?  And is bringing RTL to the newsserver here actually more
togetherness or is it the same level of togetherness?

Sorry to beat this dead horse, but explain to me how a server change might
change anything besides the perceptions of those people who will
automatically think that they were free and totally unrestrained on usenet
and will be moderated "unfairly" on Lugnet.

If you changed it over right now and didn't tell anyone why (or said you had
to consolidate), would anyone care?  As I said before, I didn't even know
you ran/hosted/whatever RTL until this all started.  I think the revelation
that you do will cause more "damage" than actually changing it over.

It may also have the opposite effect -- if RTL is hosted here and it gives
those people and excuse to start checking out the groups here because they
can get it all from one source, they may discover that they enjoy the
lugnet.* groups more than rec.toys.lego, and totally stop reading RTL.

Is that a possibility as well?  Might it in fact accelerate rather than
decelerate the "death" of RTL?

Hopefully.  As people realize that they can get their mindstorms without
trains, or their trains withoiut auctions, or their auctions without
Tele-tubby adds, they should switch.