 General / 1344
Re: Should RTL be hosted on this server?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Fri, 11 Dec 1998 13:39:13 GMT

Todd Lehman (lehman@javanet.com) wrote:

Crossposting is the sticky issue.

Yes.

I don't think crossposting between lugnet.* groups and rec.toys.lego is
particularly missed at the moment -- we hear people saying (when asked) that
they'd like to see it, but not much of people speaking up about it without
being asked.

That's because we (I anyway) are slightly egoistic. It
doesn't matter that much to me if RTL stays alive or not now
that I'm mainly reading Lugnet.

I expect that RTL'ers actually miss cross-posting from
Lugnet because the "big guys" have moved over here, and
don't post much on RTL anymore.

Carrying rec.toys.lego here and not allowing crossposting changes the
dynamics of things very little.  Carrying rec.toys.lego here and allowing
crossposting changes the dynamics of things quite a bit.

IMO there's no need to change things, if it doesn't change
the dynamics.

[...]

Again, the advantages of carrying rec.toys.lego here include: • [...]
  - slow, halt, or reverse the "brain drain" away from rec.toys.lego

It will not make any difference for me if RTL is carried on Lugnet or
not. What _will_ make a difference is if I can cross-post my messages
to RTL.

I will present some suggestions (partially inspired by
Steve's articles on the subject of cross-posting):

I would like to see:
- Automatic cross-posting from all of the Lugnet groups to
   RTL.
- Automatic sorting of RTL articles into
   RTL.<lugnet-group> on Lugnet when the articles are
   following up on Lugnet originated articles posted to
   lugnet.<lugnet-group>. The remaining articles should
   be stored in RTL or RTL.misc (maybe with junk - according
   to the technical Lugnet definition - in RTL.junk).

I think it would be good because:
- It would allow RTL'ers to listen in on Lugnet
   discussions.
- RTL-friendly Lugnet'ers would only have to read each
   message once (with a cross-post-handling newsreader).
- It would reduce the use of disk space (assuming that
   Lugnet carries RTL and that we're good guys and post our
   articles to both RTL and the proper Lugnet group).
- It would make it easier to follow discussions where
   non-Lugnet'ers take part.

I don't know how the Lugnet NNTP server can keep
non-Lugnet'ers' articles out of the lugnet.* groups, but I
assume that it isn't impossible or unfeasible.

Play well,

Jacob

     --  E-mail: Jacob.Sparre.Andersen@risoe.dk  --
     --  Web...: <URL:http://hugin.risoe.dk/>    --