 General / 881
Re: Should RTL be hosted on this server?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Sun, 29 Nov 1998 16:22:31 GMT

Ed Boxer writes:

I think the largest problem would be:  Moderation!!!

Will you moderate RTL on Lugnet as you moderate Lugnet?  What effect would that
have on people who read RTL via their Newsgroup reader?

Will you block spam on RTL from being viewed on Lugnet, or will it be a total
immersion?  I like Lugnet as it is organized.  I do not see an advantage, other
than not having to access a newsgroup reader, in pulling in RTL, with all its
spam, OT posts, etc.

In a word - Nope!!!

I think it would be best -- if RTL were offered -- to offer it in its
entirety unchanged.  There seem to be quite a few HTML postings there (like
maybe 5 a week or more) and I don't think it's possible to educate Usenet
newbies about netiquette/HTML/binaries as easily as it is here with the
signup system in place.  On the other hand, perhaps binaries could be
filtered but HTML posts left in place.  Certainly, if RTL were offered here,
it would work to filter out incoming messages based on poster -- although
outgoing messages could be.

BTW, note that moderation has a specific meaning in netnews/NNTP lore -- it
generally means the selective passing and rejecting of messages by a person
or group of people where the decisions are typically based on content -- in
the censorship sense.  (Not in the bad sense of the word censorship, of
course, but in the good sense of it -- where the moderators try to keep the
postings on-topic and free of frequently asked questions.)

In contrast, what happens in the lugnet.* groups isn't judgment-based
moderation but rather a form of very dry and automated form of filtering.
The filtering is based only on whether or not the user posting is recognized
by the system (has signed up to post and acknowledged that they've read and
understood the terms of use) and on the _format_ of the content posted
(plaintext vs. HTML vs. binaries, etc.).  So there are really no moderated
groups here on Lugnet.

I don't mean to pick nits but it's something that is worth clarifying for
legal reasons...

--Todd