 General / 950
Re: Should RTL be hosted on this server?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Mon, 30 Nov 1998 18:29:48 GMT

Linc Smith writes:
Todd,

I would like to suggest that you have a specific page (one screen) that
outlines the Lugnet's goals, services, and explains why a sign up procedure
is required.  This page will have links to the main page, and sign in page
and any general instructional pages you have made.  I don't know what they
are, because I have been signed up from before the different reading options
became available.

A few Lugnet buttons (some of your and Suz's handy work) could be provided
to Lugnet users with webpages.

I feel this is a great way to snag the uninitiated.  When I first started
out in the internet Lego scene, it was a search-engine-session.  How many
others started like me?  I found pages that linked to pages, and my internet
Lego knowledge grew.  If we can get the early explorations to include a look
at Lugnet... Lugnet will do the rest.

Linc has brought up some good ideas.  Also, I believe there is already a link to
the lugnet main page from Michael Dorneich's Everything Lego page, which
every Lego newbie will find sooner or later.

Just and idea.

LINC

Ps.  I feel the letter to be posted to RTL has to be precisely worded, and
posted at the very most every 2 weeks, and preferably once a month.  More
than that and we run the risk of p***ing off RTLers.  I would get tired of
someone was constantly posting to my beloved group asking others to look
elsewhere.  This letter has the potential to be the vector for the "wedge"
you mentioned in earlier posts, and it has to be shown that it is a benign
notice.

Since there is such a concern that posting this letter directly to the newsgroup
is a flame war waiting to happen, maybe it would be better to include it in the
RTL FAQ instead, under the Internet Resources section.

Chad