 General / 993
Re: Should RTL be hosted on this server?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Tue, 1 Dec 1998 21:41:55 GMT

On Mon, 30 Nov 1998 20:54:15 GMT, blisses@worldnet.att.net (Steve
Bliss) wrote:

:I'm thinking really hard on this, but I'm not sure there is any _clean_
:solution other than allowing at-will cross-posting between RTL and
:lugnet groups.
:
:This is because:
:
:A) NNTP guidelines indicate that the Newsgroup header should always be
:preserved, even if there are invalid/unrecognized ng.s in it.
:B) Messages coming in from RTL will be cross-posted to other usenet
:ng.s.
:C) Lugnet'ers will be replying to these messages.
:
:You could ignore (A), and strip the incoming messages of everything
:except Newsgroup: rec.toys.lego.  And disallow cross-posted messages to
:be originated from lugnet.  This would limit lugnet's usenet access to
:strictly RTL (not much of a limit, and not necessarily a bad thing).
:
:Maybe I just answered my own question.

How about: You keep all ther Newsgroup: Headers, but just don't
process them. i.e., lugnet.* is in the header, but it still doesn't
show up on the lugnet.* group.

Jasper