 General / 889
Re: Should RTL be hosted on this server?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Sun, 29 Nov 1998 20:06:34 GMT

lehman@javanet.com (Todd Lehman) writes:

[...]
Quality of the people is unimportant, because judgment calls about people
are not our business.  Even the most unruly and unwashed are welcome so long
as they come to talk about LEGO and don't make life miserable for others.

Let me state that a slightly different way --

It is not supposed to be a place for a few select people to congregate and
behave in a way that is natural for them (which just happens to be civil).
It is supposed to be a place for everyone to congregate and behave politely,
maturely, and with civility.

Everyone can behave nicely if they understand that it is expected of them.

People don't behave nicely on Usenet because it's not expected of them and
because they can hide behind aliases and not be held accountable for who
they really are.  [This is a simplification of reality, of course, but there
is truth in it.]

--Todd