 Off-Topic / Debate / 1287
  Rights to free goods? (was Re: What happened?

The following responses are rather Libertarian macho flash because they were composed hurridly. That's OK, since the original poster was bemoaning no spirited debate. If the following statements don't provoke a great deal debate, I've misread the (...) (25 years ago, 29-Jun-99, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Rights to free goods? (was Re: What happened?

(...) I don't remember seeing anything about "free". And the government *is* here to serve the people. What do you call road building/maintenance? A "right"? Everything the government does is funded by the Taxpayers, hence our obligation to pay (...) (25 years ago, 29-Jun-99, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Rights to free goods? (was Re: What happened?

(...) That's ridiculous. First, if I do stop using these government "services" (as if that were possible) would I then be free of a tax obligation? For the answer, ask home-owners who send their kids to private schools (like me) because public (...) (25 years ago, 29-Jun-99, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Rights to free goods? (was Re: What happened?

(...) I was hoping not to engage Larry in this debate because I believe my viewpoints are valid even though I might not be able to defend them as aptly as Larry can defend his. I am not a good debater and Larry, as I think we all know, is a (...) (25 years ago, 29-Jun-99, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Rights to free goods? (was Re: What happened?

(...) But we specifically ARE talking about free goods. Try to keep up. The assertion being made is that people are *entitled* to a certain level of medical care whether or not they can afford it. Now, if they can't afford it, what else would that (...) (25 years ago, 29-Jun-99, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Rights to free goods? (was Re: What happened?

(...) Please please please, don't anyone remove that key syllable, thank you. The new Victoria's Secret catalog just came, you'll have to excuse me while I go study it closely. (1) (...) I certainly understand the first quoted statement you make in (...) (25 years ago, 29-Jun-99, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Rights to free goods? (was Re: What happened?

(...) <snip> (...) <snip> (...) I stated this more or less to get your blood boiling. I believe people in need ought to be helped. I believe there are many people in need of health insurance in this country and that they ought to be helped by our (...) (25 years ago, 29-Jun-99, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Rights to free goods? (was Re: What happened?

Larry, I would like to understand the Libertarian principle better, but am finding it hard to understand from your responses in the various debates that have occured. What is the Libertarian view laws and law enforcement? We can all certainly agree (...) (25 years ago, 29-Jun-99, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Rights to free goods? (was Re: What happened?

(...) It worked. (...) Feel free to act on that belief. There are many worthy charities out there. You mentioned one of my favorites, Habitat for Humanity. We've been supporting them for an awfully long time. (...) That's where you go too far. (...) (25 years ago, 30-Jun-99, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Rights to free goods? (was Re: What happened?

Whoops... first time round was just mailed to Frank, meant to post this instead, so here it is. (...) Right. that's because I'm Libertarian Macho Flashing(tm). I do it all the time. I'm not this over the top out in public, trust me. For a somewhat (...) (25 years ago, 30-Jun-99, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Rights to free goods? (was Re: What happened?

(...) I don't have time to get into this fully, but I agree more with Larry than Thomas, I'm afraid. What I do have time to do, though, is assert that "the government" most certainly does NOT spend the money it gets for the welfare of the people. (...) (25 years ago, 30-Jun-99, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Rights to free goods? (was Re: What happened?

(...) Right. Bread and Circuses are not put on to benefit the participants, but rather to retain power. (25 years ago, 30-Jun-99, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Rights to free goods? (was Re: What happened?

(...) I have a huge problem with this inane argument. Larry is avoiding the basic issue and circumventing it with property gibberish. It is simply this - all Doctors take a Hypocratic oath - that they will provide medical service irregardless of the (...) (25 years ago, 30-Jun-99, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Rights to free goods? (was Re: What happened?

(...) Have you read Larry's response to my question about the ideals of Libertarianism? Your last comment is a gross mischaracterization of Larry's position. If you read one of his other responses, you will even see that he does in fact support (...) (25 years ago, 30-Jun-99, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Rights to free goods? (was Re: What happened?

(...) Which basic issue is he circumventing? I thought the basic issue was determining who should pay for Random Joe's medical care. Larry thinks Random Joe should and Thomas thinks that Larry should. (...) Hippocrates developed the oath, but I (...) (25 years ago, 30-Jun-99, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Rights to free goods? (was Re: What happened?

"Christopher L. Weeks" wrote: <snip> (...) OK, the first person who knows this song wins the debate: "...i've been called a communist because i'm left-handed/that's the hand to use.../well, nevermind." other lines (if you need a hint): "i've been (...) (25 years ago, 30-Jun-99, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Rights to free goods? (was Re: What happened?

(...) I have a huge problem with the characterisation of my cogent and lucid statements (:-))as inane, or gibberish. Perhaps to someone who'd rather not honor property rights and doesn't understand why property rights matter, they're gibberish. But (...) (25 years ago, 30-Jun-99, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Rights to free goods? (was Re: What happened?

Man, Larry, I go away for a few days, and this explodes on my e-mail. :) Oh, and I agree with Larry 100%, even if I am a Republican (Some moral differences with the Libertarians, but nothing us "right-wingers" can't work out!). By the way, not all (...) (25 years ago, 30-Jun-99, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Rights to free goods? (was Re: What happened?

(...) Admirable quality, I wish more humans felt this way. People *should* feel this way, as it is good for all. (...) Why? Because he feels the government should try to take care of the people it was created to protect and serve? I think you, (...) (25 years ago, 30-Jun-99, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Rights to free goods? (was Re: What happened?

(...) OK, you state "people do not have a RIGHT to free goods." I am simplying stating that some people, through no fault of their own, do not have the ability to pay for those goods but, in the name of humanity, should "have a RIGHT to free goods". (...) (25 years ago, 30-Jun-99, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Rights to free goods? (was Re: What happened?

(...) I think that in a perfect liberatopia, all three of these people would have no problem getting the care they need, through charity. Person A may still be helped by some kind of unemployment coverage. Person B's family should also invest in a (...) (25 years ago, 30-Jun-99, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Rights to free goods? (was Re: What happened?

Your little moral problems are a sucker's trap, because you haven't stated enough assumptions and preconditions, so whatever I say will be twisted around. But hey, look up sucker in the dictionary... see that picture? that's me. (...) Why? No one (...) (25 years ago, 30-Jun-99, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Rights to free goods? (was Re: What happened?

(...) So you are saying that these people have the right to the care that they need. Isn't charity the giving of free goods? Are you saying that these people have a right to free goods? (25 years ago, 30-Jun-99, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Rights to free goods? (was Re: What happened?

(...) Oh, come on!! You CANNOT have a "perfect" society with more than a small number of people!! It is imposible! No matter what, there will be some that take advantage of it. Why do you think Communism failed? Any type of society that relies on (...) (25 years ago, 30-Jun-99, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Rights to free goods? (was Re: What happened?

(...) His savings are gone so soon? What did A do for 35 years? I have only been actively saving for a short while now and I could last a few months without my job, minimum. Inside of a year I'll be able to last a lot longer. Why would A have so (...) (25 years ago, 30-Jun-99, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Rights to free goods? (was Re: What happened?

(...) No, I think he's saying that, in a perfect libertopia, other people who help these people of their own free will. That does not imply that ABC have rights to those goods. (25 years ago, 30-Jun-99, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Rights to free goods? (was Re: What happened?

(...) Ignoring the minimum wage issue, who cares if the only jobs available are minimum wage? I've worked for varying amounts in my life. If you work for 35 years making $30k per year (sorry, that should probably be $40-50k/year if we're talking a (...) (25 years ago, 30-Jun-99, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Rights to free goods? (was Re: What happened?

(...) No. (...) Yes and no. (...) No. There is no right to charity. A charity may feel a moral obligation to help, but that moral obligation is something between them and their benefactors. A charity will set conditions under which it provides goods (...) (25 years ago, 30-Jun-99, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Rights to free goods? (was Re: What happened?

(...) OK, OK, I give in. I'll feel compassion for those people in the US that for reasons beyond their control can't afford to take care of themselves. All 2 of them. That was a flippant remark, but it makes a point. If you want my help, you have to (...) (25 years ago, 1-Jul-99, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Rights to free goods? (was Re: What happened?

(...) This point is valid. There is no perfect society and Libertarianism does not claim to be able to achieve one. It merely claims to be able to make things better. (...) Answer this question yourself, please. I know why it failed. I suspect you (...) (25 years ago, 1-Jul-99, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

Larry Pieniazek wrote in message <37796883.7A114758@v...er.net>... (...) And of course I replied in kind... Here's my reply: (...) Thanks for the response. I suppose I am close to being a closet Libertarian. I think most of my discomfort has been (...) (25 years ago, 1-Jul-99, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Rights to free goods? (was Re: What happened?

(...) This smacks of this new age crap I hear about how morals are relative and everyone is entitled to their own morals, no matter how warped, and nobody else should condemn them. That's bullshit. Lemme give you an example of how you determine what (...) (25 years ago, 1-Jul-99, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Rights to free goods? (was Re: What happened?

(...) If he gets hit by a truck (this is what the original post was about), he'd be refused medical attention because he has no benefits and can't afford it on his own. Through no fault of his own, society and the government have just condemned him (...) (25 years ago, 1-Jul-99, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Rights to free goods? (was Re: What happened?

(...) I think the problem here is that you are looking at the libertarian perspective piecemeal. As I understand it from what Larry has said is that since everything is connected, a truly (or at least much more than the one we have now) free market (...) (25 years ago, 1-Jul-99, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Rights to free goods? (was Re: What happened?

(...) It should also be said that charity doesn't automatically mean "free" goods. Habitat for Humanity is very definitely a charity, but they don't give away houses. They ask their benneficiaries to help build the house and in general to show (...) (25 years ago, 1-Jul-99, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Rights to free goods? (was Re: What happened?

(...) Um....He does. By your own admission previously, you do allow him to extort money out of you for his pet projects. ('He' refers to Ed, the government, and communists in general.) (25 years ago, 1-Jul-99, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Rights to free goods? (was Re: What happened?

(...) He didn't say a right; he said they would _probably_ receive charity. (25 years ago, 1-Jul-99, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Rights to free goods? (was Re: What happened?

(...) I hear ya brother Larry. (...) No. Never. But, they should have a RIGHT to earn goods. (...) Others have hashed this one out pretty well, but basically, f@*k him. 35 years is a long time to not sock something away for the future. One of my (...) (25 years ago, 1-Jul-99, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Rights to free goods? (was Re: What happened?

(...) Lost a high-paying job and had to take a much lower paying job, yes. Shit happens. I made the best of the situation and moved on. Everyone else can too. (...) Saying "he lost his job and the only jobs available were minimum wage jobs so he (...) (25 years ago, 1-Jul-99, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Rights to free goods? (was Re: What happened?

Wow, Mike Stanley and I agree on something! That is amazing! (J/K Mike. You made some great points!) I happen to work two jobs to pay off my student loans. Scott Sanburn (...) (25 years ago, 1-Jul-99, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Rights to free goods? (was Re: What happened?

Well, we really have a quite a little mutual admiration society going here, don't we. All this macho, I've-got- 10-jobs back-slapping is touching, but let me offer a little unsolicited advice: Don't get sick, especially with a long-term, chronic (...) (25 years ago, 2-Jul-99, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Rights to free goods? (was Re: What happened?

(...) Somebody just watched "The Trouble with Tribbles"! --Todd (25 years ago, 2-Jul-99, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Rights to free goods? (was Re: What happened?

(...) Thanks for the advice...I'll try not to. (...) One of my roommates in college grew up in a Utah sheep-farming family. He tells a quaint little annecdote like yours. His grandfather got old (it happens to all of us) and stopped working on the (...) (25 years ago, 2-Jul-99, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Rights to free goods? (was Re: What happened?

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Todd Lehman writes: [...] (...) OUCH! You are *too* much. John C (25 years ago, 2-Jul-99, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Rights to free goods? (was Re: What happened?

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Christopher L. Weeks writes: [...] (...) Agreed. Unfortunately, with progressively debilitating diseases, the brain is often the first thing to go, and can be gone before you know what's happened or have a chance to do (...) (25 years ago, 2-Jul-99, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Rights to free goods? (was Re: What happened?

I was catching up on this group when I read this post. This post by Lar is 100% right on. Why are there 46 more posts left in this thread for me to read??? I hope its a bunch of puns, as I can't see anything left to debate. I guess all hell has (...) (25 years ago, 2-Jul-99, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

Thomas Main wrote in message <3779144D.DC72D75@ap...te.edu>... (...) Ah, just what the doctor ordered - good, teenage humor. When you can't argue, just hit 'em below the belt. Thomas, I don't know you very well, but I have now read a couple posts of (...) (25 years ago, 2-Jul-99, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

Frank Filz wrote in message <377A8667.334E@minds...ng.com>... (...) need. (...) No, he did not say that. Its funny how people who like to take other people's property also like to take other people's words and misuse them. (...) Frank is catching on (...) (25 years ago, 2-Jul-99, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

John Cromer wrote in message ... (...) Thanks for pointing this out. You are right, our general voting public (clear-headed Americans) would rather vote for assholes that lie and say they will make things better than for people who could actually (...) (25 years ago, 2-Jul-99, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Rights to free goods? (was Re: What happened?

(...) his (...) I think that you're ignoring (as I understand it) a basic tenate of Libertarianism. Where does the fault lie? If this person has no savings, is it his own fault, or circumstances beyond his control? More to the immediate, who's fault (...) (25 years ago, 2-Jul-99, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Rights to free goods? (was Re: What happened?

James Brown <galliard@shades-of-night.com> wrote: Not really responding to what James wrote, although I think it made sense. Just jumping in again. Brought up Larry's (and what I assume are the LP's) opinions on the government health care thing (...) (25 years ago, 2-Jul-99, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

Mike Stanley wrote in message ... (...) I hate to bring up the old religion thing, but it is relevant. One of the greatest difficulties that the average westerner has in accepting the Libertarian idea that people are basically good, is that one of (...) (25 years ago, 3-Jul-99, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

John DiRienzo wrote in message ... (...) Are you commenting on my words or Ed's here? (...) My "yes and no" was that in one sense, charity is the giving of goods without expecting something in return (shorthand "free goods"), but it is also a "no" (...) (25 years ago, 3-Jul-99, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Rights to free goods? (was Re: What happened?

John DiRienzo wrote: Although I think this is somewhat of a dead horse issue and I'm wayyyy to tired to be writing this...John addressed me personally, so I thought I should respond... (...) <snip> (...) Just trying to diffuse a tense situation with (...) (25 years ago, 3-Jul-99, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Rights to free goods? (was Re: What happened?

On Tue, 29 Jun 1999 14:18:59 GMT, Larry Pieniazek uttered the following profundities... (...) But your own Declaration of Independance states that everyone is entitled to life, liberty and the pursuit of hapiness. Health is necessary to life, yet (...) (25 years ago, 3-Jul-99, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Rights to free goods? (was Re: What happened?

On Tue, 29 Jun 1999 14:18:59 GMT, Larry Pieniazek uttered the following profundities... (...) I responded before seeing this bit! :o) Actually, in Europe(1) we do a rather crap job of provision of social care. Too many liberals and communists have (...) (25 years ago, 3-Jul-99, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Rights to free goods? (was Re: What happened?

On Wed, 30 Jun 1999 00:44:51 GMT, Larry Pieniazek uttered the following profundities... (...) You would tax food? It is something essential to life itself. Though one could argue taxation on certain items of food (1), to tax *all* food items, IMO, (...) (25 years ago, 3-Jul-99, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Rights to free goods? (was Re: What happened?

(...) I agree. I'd also point out that the person who was most adamant about thinking it is "human nature" to be selfish and not give, no matter how much you do or do not have taken from you by the government was the person who somewhat proudly (...) (25 years ago, 3-Jul-99, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Rights to free goods? (was Re: What happened?

(...) This is something I'm curious about. In these European countries that have this utopia of "free" healthcare I would assume it is paid for with taxes, right? I've also heard that in such places those who have the means most definitely do choose (...) (25 years ago, 3-Jul-99, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Rights to free goods? (was Re: What happened?

(...) I haven't been convinced that more money will always create better education. Public education, like everything else run by the government, is almost by definition inefficient and wasteful. Still, as bad as it may be, I received my entire (...) (25 years ago, 3-Jul-99, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Rights to free goods? (was Re: What happened?

(...) I disagree. We've seen various proposals here that say you wouldn't tax "unprepared" food but you would tax prepared food. So you wouldn't tax the mass-produced ham you buy in little packets, but if you decide you'd like fresher meat from the (...) (25 years ago, 3-Jul-99, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

Mike Stanley wrote in message ... (...) Healthcare is definitely the toughest nut to crack here. The problem is that essentially for anyone in the world, there is a medical condition which would take more resources to treat than they themselves own (...) (25 years ago, 3-Jul-99, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Rights to free goods? (was Re: What happened?

(...) What part of "no exceptions" don't you understand? ALL or nothing. Water is something essential to life itself. So is gasoline if it's in the car that's rushing you to the hospital, or nails if they're in the 2by4 directly over your head (...) (25 years ago, 3-Jul-99, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Rights to free goods? (was Re: What happened?

(...) I'm glad John's here but I do want to point out that I was perfectly fine with this particular one... I riffed on it quite happily. In general I tend to pounce on ad hominems but this wasn't one. (25 years ago, 3-Jul-99, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Rights to free goods? (was Re: What happened?

(...) The one that will get Bill Gates is the one we can't cure yet. Same as what got Princess Diana. We currently cannot save people that get crushed to 1/2 their volume and aren't extricated and gotten to the hospital that very instant. It did not (...) (25 years ago, 3-Jul-99, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Rights to free goods? (was Re: What happened?

(...) I'm going to refer you to the federalist papers on this, and they're a hard slog, believe me, I'm re-reading them now, as I periodically do. Summarizing, though: I acknowledge that a quick read of the phrase "LL&PH" may leave one with the (...) (25 years ago, 3-Jul-99, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Rights to free goods? (was Re: What happened?

(...) Let me forestall a pounce, this is a typo. The second "me" should say "my family after I am gone" (25 years ago, 3-Jul-99, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

Larry Pieniazek wrote in message <377E75DD.377FC107@v...er.net>... (...) One thing that does worry me a bit is if our capability to identify genetic markers for those diseases which are genetic outstrips our ability to improve care for them knowing (...) (25 years ago, 4-Jul-99, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Rights to free goods? (was Re: What happened?

(...) In all fairness Communism is defendable from first principles yet is always said to be bad. I agree with the ideal of communism but not Marxism. In an ideal communism state there is no tax, no unemployment. I've missed out on most of this (...) (25 years ago, 4-Jul-99, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Rights to free goods? (was Re: What happened?

(...) In all fairness Communism is INdefensible from first principles, if you accept the rights based principle that people have the right to maximum freedom, or the utilitarian principle that we should strive for the system that produces the (...) (25 years ago, 4-Jul-99, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Rights to free goods? (was Re: What happened?

On Sat, 3 Jul 1999 08:50:13 GMT, Mike Stanley uttered the following profundities... (...) I wouldn't know the answers, either. And I agree, too many parents take too little interest in their children. However, where chronic underfunding exists in a (...) (25 years ago, 4-Jul-99, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Rights to free goods? (was Re: What happened?

On Sat, 3 Jul 1999 20:56:01 GMT, Larry Pieniazek uttered the following profundities... (...) I do not have these federalist papers to which you refer, so must trust your *interpretation* of them. Assuming a copy exists on the 'net, I shall read (...) (25 years ago, 4-Jul-99, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Rights to free goods? (was Re: What happened?

On Sat, 3 Jul 1999 08:56:30 GMT, Mike Stanley uttered the following profundities... (...) Agreed, it must be all or nothing, but I will defend the no tax on any food position. (25 years ago, 4-Jul-99, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Rights to free goods? (was Re: What happened?

On Sat, 3 Jul 1999 14:27:17 GMT, Larry Pieniazek uttered the following profundities... (...) Unless of course, you are one of the poor sods denied any health care, because even if they made it to the hospital, they might be deemed an unsuitable (...) (25 years ago, 4-Jul-99, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Rights to free goods? (was Re: What happened?

On Sat, 3 Jul 1999 08:42:49 GMT, Mike Stanley uttered the following profundities... (...) It certainly isn't a "utopia," at least in the UK. It is bureaucratic, mismanaged, and all health care is expensive, after all. New drugs cost a fortune, and (...) (25 years ago, 4-Jul-99, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Rights to free goods? (was Re: What happened?

On Sat, 3 Jul 1999 20:43:09 GMT, Larry Pieniazek uttered the following profundities... (...) It is an interesting measure of "humanity." How much do we make the sick, and their families, suffer, in order that we expend vast resources in order to (...) (25 years ago, 4-Jul-99, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Rights to free goods? (was Re: What happened?

(...) Too much work. You go to www.excite.com Type federalist papers into the search box Go from there (I found them at the 3rd listing, skipping the first 2) Shakin near everything is on the web - you just have to want to find it. Remedying one's (...) (25 years ago, 5-Jul-99, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Rights to free goods? (was Re: What happened?

(...) It does. A quick search will turn it up online. I shan't provide the free good of doing your research for you in this case. I went out and bought a copy in the bookstore because I wanted to be able to read it on the plane. Note that the papers (...) (25 years ago, 5-Jul-99, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Rights to free goods? (was Re: What happened?

(...) Really, Richard, are you trying to appear dense and quibblish on purpose? I'm convinced that the "final state" libertarian government can be funded without taxes. Taxes are only needed during the transition period. So I don't want any. But if (...) (25 years ago, 5-Jul-99, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Rights to free goods? (was Re: What happened?

(...) Mind posting the ISBN (if you have it handy) or title of the edition you bought? I'd like to pick it up myself and the first 4 versions I've checked out on Amazon do not appear to have much in the form of commentary. (25 years ago, 5-Jul-99, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Rights to free goods? (was Re: What happened?

(...) Food (store-bought) is less important than Internet access. :-) Heck, I can stick some seeds in the ground and grow my own food for free out in the garden if I want, but I sure can't stick a wire in the ground and grow Internet access for (...) (25 years ago, 5-Jul-99, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  federalist ISBN (was Re: Rights to free goods? (was Re: What happened?

Commentary may have been too strong a word, it has an intro, some editing, and a cross referenced constitution I have the Rossiter edition ISBN 0-451-62451-2 (25 years ago, 5-Jul-99, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: federalist ISBN (was Re: Rights to free goods? (was Re: What happened?

(...) Thanks. That one's nice and cheap on Amazon. I think I'll swing by my used bookstore tomorrow and see if I can find a copy even cheaper, though. Hate to pay shipping on a 5 dollar book. Better than paying tax on it, though. ;) (25 years ago, 6-Jul-99, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Rights to free goods? (was Re: What happened?

On Mon, 5 Jul 1999 00:20:22 GMT, Mike Stanley uttered the following profundities... (...) Indeed it is, but no harm in asking should someone just happen to have them! (...) Prefer metacrawler...., but when back online will go for yours. (25 years ago, 6-Jul-99, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Rights to free goods? (was Re: What happened?

On Mon, 5 Jul 1999 15:06:30 GMT, Larry Pieniazek uttered the following profundities... (...) Requested on the off-chance someone had them? I do have a fair few documents from wiretap.spies or whatever it was called, I downloaded almost everything (...) (25 years ago, 6-Jul-99, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Rights to free goods? (was Re: What happened?

On Mon, 5 Jul 1999 15:16:31 GMT, Larry Pieniazek uttered the following profundities... (...) You should know me well enough by now to know the answer to that one. Of course I am! :o) (...) I missed out somewhere the bit about no taxis. (...) Sales (...) (25 years ago, 6-Jul-99, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Rights to free goods? (was Re: What happened?

(...) You just wait for the comming era of nanotechnology. We'll see plated wires growing before I'm dead, or I'll be...uh...dead. (25 years ago, 6-Jul-99, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Rights to free goods? (was Re: What happened?

(...) A friend of mine became a VP at Chase Manhattan Bank/Chemical Bank with an AS degree. He built himself up by taking courses when needed, and just going out and showing that he was capable of doing the job. (25 years ago, 6-Jul-99, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Rights to free goods? (was Re: What happened?

(...) I think that was me. (...) I'll be paying almost $2000 to move in August because I have lots and lots of large things. When I was 19 I moved away from my parents' house - 300 miles for about $20 in gas. Everything I owned fit in my car after (...) (25 years ago, 6-Jul-99, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Rights to free goods? (was Re: What happened?

(...) More money spent certain ways CAN help, but it won't be spent that way. (...) Right. Parents need to be educated too. Public school should include the whole family and if they refuse to participate, society ought to frown on it dramatically (...) (25 years ago, 6-Jul-99, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Rights to free goods? (was Re: What happened?

(...) Careful what you agree to. They're a serious read. (...) No, only things that require resources to acquire. (...) And that's how it should be. (...) I'm with Larry, they should be done away with. My kid was inoculated on the dime of my (...) (25 years ago, 6-Jul-99, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Rights to free goods? (was Re: What happened?

(...) I agree. I've actually thought a plan of universal reversible sterilization would do just fine, with some form of proof of worthiness to be un-sterilized. The worthiness part is the tricky part - I know I'm not qualified to make decisions like (...) (25 years ago, 7-Jul-99, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Rights to free goods? (was Re: What happened?

(...) For sake of clarity, I only think such a procedure should be employed for those who demonstrate the unwillingness to care for their young. People can disagree with me in any number of ways and still have the RIGHT to have kids as long as they (...) (25 years ago, 7-Jul-99, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Rights to free goods? (was Re: What happened?

(...) I grew up during the 60s - remember the era that fought for equal rights, fought against the war in Vietnam, fought for student rights, fought against oppression of the poor by the rich, fought to get assistance to those who were in need. You (...) (25 years ago, 7-Jul-99, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: federalist ISBN (was Re: Rights to free goods? (was Re: What happened?

On Tue, 6 Jul 1999 03:30:06 GMT, Mike Stanley uttered the following profundities... (...) I have downloaded that, the constitution, BoR, DoI, from Project Gutenburg. (25 years ago, 7-Jul-99, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Rights to free goods? (was Re: What happened?

(...) The 60s is the decade that invented the socially-acceptable slacker as far as I can tell. I get so sick of you people ranting insanely about how grand those times were. How exactly did you and yours fight for those things? Equal rights - I (...) (25 years ago, 7-Jul-99, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Rights to free goods? (was Re: What happened?

(...) So did I, although you have some seniority on me, the 70's were my decade of activism. (...) Good causes. I was prepared to resist Vietnam if it had dragged on much longer. What a useless little war. A waste of national treasure, and human (...) (25 years ago, 8-Jul-99, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Rights to free goods? (was Re: What happened?

(...) were (...) Why, because we had the nerve to see that things were wrong and fought to right them? Or because your generation has done absolutely nothing but reap the goods for nothing. (...) In the 60s you didn't have to hire anyone. You could (...) (25 years ago, 8-Jul-99, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

Christopher L. Weeks wrote in message <3783B529.73A74C27@c...ri.edu>... (...) against (...) were (...) Groovy! <silly debate snipped> (...) Chris, I tend to agree with you more often than with Ed "Boxer" Jones, but if you would advocate the above, I (...) (25 years ago, 8-Jul-99, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Rights to free goods? (was Re: What happened?

(...) See my reply to Weeks. (...) were (...) Again read my reply to Weeks. (...) Construction workers are employed by construction companies. Those companies have winter layoffs. Those employees, having worked 6 months or more, are entitled to (...) (25 years ago, 8-Jul-99, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Rights to free goods? (was Re: What happened?

(...) You're stretching here, you know. This notion that you paid in advance for food stamps and therefore are entitled to get them kind of runs counter to the notion that the needy deserve help whether they paid for it or not. You can't have it (...) (25 years ago, 8-Jul-99, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: federalist ISBN (was Re: Rights to free goods? (was Re: What happened?

(...) Yeah, I could do that too, but lately, with wrist and elbow pains setting in, I've decided I should spend less time reading in front of the computer and more time reading in my recliner. I'll be happy when portable e-books become commonplace, (...) (25 years ago, 8-Jul-99, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Rights to free goods? (was Re: What happened?

(...) Actually, you can, and it was the intent of the original program - to assist those with no income and to assist those who are underemployeed. (...) [snip] (...) Well, actually, he has to pay unemployment insurance (which is part of his taxes). (...) (25 years ago, 8-Jul-99, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Rights to free goods? (was Re: What happened?

(...) Saw it. (...) Please explain why this is a good thing and not the inmates running the asylum. Please justify how burning down the administration building is a good way to send the message that the school is not delivering appropriate classes, (...) (25 years ago, 8-Jul-99, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  What is insurance? (was Re: Rights to free goods? (was Re: What happened?

(...) No, you cannot have your cake and eat it too. That violates causality. No, you cannot make two opposing/conflicting arguments at the same time. That violates logic. That's what you're trying to do. So you cannot have it both ways. (...) (...) (25 years ago, 8-Jul-99, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Rights to free goods? (was Re: What happened?

(...) [snip] (...) As a former teacher, two of the biggest problems with today's schools are: 1. lack of funding - classrooms are overcrowded, teacher salaries over the last 30 years have actually decreased (differnce of 1960's salary times (...) (25 years ago, 8-Jul-99, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: What is insurance? (was Re: Rights to free goods? (was Re: What happened?

(...) The politicians they own cast votes on their behalf all the time - much more often than on the behalf of the people who elect them. (25 years ago, 8-Jul-99, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Rights to free goods? (was Re: What happened?

(...) But 3 lefts do;-) -John (...) (25 years ago, 8-Jul-99, to lugnet.off-topic.fun)

  Re: Rights to free goods? (was Re: What happened?

"Christopher L. Weeks" wrote: <snipped a lot of incendiary rhetoric> I feel as though the climate in this newsgroup had grown very hostile. So much so, that I am going to unsubscribe from it because I choose not expose myself what I feel is (...) (25 years ago, 8-Jul-99, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Rights to free goods? (was Re: What happened?

(...) For the sake of clarity I agree with the sort of punitive sterilization you describe here, for those reasons. I just think people can prove in many ways that they most likely will BE unfit to care for their children. Like I said, I don't think (...) (25 years ago, 8-Jul-99, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Rights to free goods? (was Re: What happened?

  Re: What is insurance? (was Re: Rights to free goods? (was Re: What happened?

<378410DA.E6670E74@voyager.net> <slrn7o85bv.7bp.cjc@...S.UTK.EDU> Content-Type: text/plain; charset=us-ascii Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit (...) An honest politician is one who stays bought. There are almost no honest politicians. (25 years ago, 8-Jul-99, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Rights to free goods? (was Re: What happened?

(...) The man obviously has never been anywhere NEAR Boston. Sometimes it only takes 2, sometimes it takes 5, and sometimes you just can't get there from here. (25 years ago, 8-Jul-99, to lugnet.off-topic.fun, lugnet.loc.us.ma.bos)

  Re: Rights to free goods? (was Re: What happened?

(...) That may be your reason or your idea of why people school tax levies down. I disagree. People vote down tax levies simply because they do no want to pay taxes. (...) Is it any easier to be involved in a private school for someone who works? (...) (25 years ago, 8-Jul-99, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Rights to free goods? (was Re: What happened?

<3784A057.A9F1E5A7@voyager.net> <FEK0ss.3A1@lugnet.com> Content-Type: text/plain; charset=us-ascii Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit (...) Why, exactly? (...) Good question. And the answer is yes. Private schools, being market driven, have reason to (...) (25 years ago, 8-Jul-99, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: What is insurance? (was Re: Rights to free goods? (was Re: What happened?

(...) When corporations are no longer immortal people (under the law), I'll worry about 'corporation rights'. Steve (25 years ago, 8-Jul-99, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Rights to free goods? (was Re: What happened?

(...) Good idea. You might at least want to take a step outside, and check the name on the shingle. This ng is supposed to be for debate. It occasionally gets hot, but rarely hostile. Steve (25 years ago, 8-Jul-99, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Rights to free goods? (was Re: What happened?

(...) Well, I used to watch "Cheers". Does that count? Actually, my favorite show of all time is St. Elsewhere. Best show ever. Period. ER is merely a slick rip-off. *Any* good drama today owes its success to St. E, and possibly Hill Street Blues. (...) (25 years ago, 8-Jul-99, to lugnet.off-topic.fun, lugnet.loc.us.ma.bos)

  Re: Rights to free goods? (was Re: What happened?

(...) That's amazing. When I taught - there were parent/teacher conferences every month in the evening and twice a year on Saturdays. But weren't there also PTA meetings in the evening? Couldn't you have made your complaint known at those meetings? (...) (25 years ago, 8-Jul-99, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Rights to free goods? (was Re: What happened?

<3784B28D.82177A5A@voyager.net> <FEK6nL.DDI@lugnet.com> Content-Type: text/plain; charset=us-ascii Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit (...) Bully for you. Some public schools are better, some are worse. Point is that parents have no recourse when (...) (25 years ago, 8-Jul-99, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Rights to free goods? (was Re: What happened?

<3784B28D.82177A5A@voyager.net> <FEK6nL.DDI@lugnet.com> Content-Type: text/plain; charset=us-ascii Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit Missed these. (...) When I speak of the ability to discriminate, so am I. (...) I don't believe I said that. I said (...) (25 years ago, 8-Jul-99, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Rights to free goods? (was Re: What happened?

(...) Or San Francisco. (...) Nash Bridges? Oh, wait. You said "good". :P -Tom McD. when replying, note that the Ghirardelli Chocolate Factory at Fisherman's Wharf now sells little foil-wrapped chocolate spamcakes. (25 years ago, 8-Jul-99, to lugnet.off-topic.fun, lugnet.loc.us.ma.bos)

  Re: Rights to free goods? (was Re: What happened?

Now, I thought John Neal had come up with a good debate topic, but he moved the thread to the Boston group. Can I argue here? Is that legal? If so, I think Barney Miller was the Best Show ever. Period. ST. E and HSB took too much time (but they (...) (25 years ago, 8-Jul-99, to lugnet.off-topic.fun, lugnet.loc.us.ma.bos)

  Re: Rights to free goods? (was Re: What happened?

(...) Technically moreso here than in the Boston group. But I spose it could continue there if folks don't complain. (...) Ooo hadn't thought of that one. I really enjoyed that show. My two favs on that show were Steve Landesberg and Jack Soo. -Tom (...) (25 years ago, 8-Jul-99, to lugnet.off-topic.fun, lugnet.loc.us.ma.bos)

  Re: Rights to free goods? (was Re: What happened?

(...) broken. (...) Not at all, see my response to Larry on this - you claimed to lack an appropriate flippant response - so I provided it. But I must say, that the original suggestion of sterilization made my skin crawl. (...) But on to the serious (...) (25 years ago, 8-Jul-99, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Rights to free goods? (was Re: What happened?

Hi all, First, I would like to say a few words about the sterilization thread and Thomas' claim that there was hostility here. I want to apologize. When I first brought up sterilization it was somewhat (but not totally) facetious. I included the (...) (25 years ago, 8-Jul-99, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Rights to free goods? (was Re: What happened?

(...) I got a big smile out of that. (...) It wasn't a joke, but it wasn't exactly serious either. (...) Right. I'm straight-up 100% agreed. But, that's not the world we live in. We live in a world where people think that robbing from the rich to (...) (25 years ago, 8-Jul-99, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Rights to free goods? (was Re: What happened?

(...) I addressed this more fully in another note, but it was never my intent to come off as hostile. I'm Sorry that Thomas and others feel that way. How would you like me to tone my arguments, or are just some topics too much for some of you? (25 years ago, 8-Jul-99, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Rights to free goods? (was Re: What happened?

(...) It sounds as if you're saying that the morally 'best' course of action would be to stand off and not take the unemployment. I disagree strongly. I think that if you disagree with the system in the way that you (and I) seem to, you owe it to (...) (25 years ago, 8-Jul-99, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Rights to free goods? (was Re: What happened?

<3784C71B.3C4F5D8@uswest.net> <FEK9oB.J3q@lugnet.com> <FEKDqD.3tE@lugnet.com> Content-Type: text/plain; charset=us-ascii; x-mac-type="54455854"; x-mac-creator="4D4F5353" Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit (...) I did enjoy BM, I also liked Barney (...) (25 years ago, 8-Jul-99, to lugnet.off-topic.fun)

Christopher L. Weeks wrote in message <3784F884.EBFE1372@c...ri.edu>... (...) why do (...) Chris, I know we are on the same side and all, but following your moral further, it is also right to break the laws, as you see fit, because it hurts the (...) (25 years ago, 8-Jul-99, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Rights to free goods? (was Re: What happened?

(...) Statistical studies only support, and can never _prove_ a particular hypothesis. At least if you're rational and believe (generally) that the scientific method is valid. Ed can't possibly prove that, he can only support it with evidence. (25 years ago, 8-Jul-99, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Rights to free goods? (was Re: What happened?

(...) I don't see how my logic lead to this conclusion. But, I agree that breaking some laws is required to maintain moral purity. Since the US government uses my tax dollars to kill people with whom I have no beef, I do feel kind of sleazy allowing (...) (25 years ago, 8-Jul-99, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Rights to free goods? (was Re: What happened?

  Re: Rights to free goods? (was Re: What happened?

(...) Wow, that's really disgusting. I think maybe Denny's watched Roger and Me a few too many times. (25 years ago, 9-Jul-99, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Rights to free goods? (was Re: What happened?

(...) I guess you mean a duplex. Sure, why not? Especially given the current state of the law that makes it so freakin difficult to get rid of losers once you find out they're scummy and you don't want them or their loud, dirty, possibly dangerous (...) (25 years ago, 9-Jul-99, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Rights to free goods? (was Re: What happened?

(...) The only openly hostile comments I've seen so far were directed at you by Ed, and it seems he's claiming those were examples of flippancy, not hostility. Some topics are hot, some people get hot while debating them. I'd like to think I haven't (...) (25 years ago, 9-Jul-99, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Rights to free goods? (was Re: What happened?

Mike Stanley wrote: Just teasing here, Mike, mind you, but... (...) the juxtaposition of these two parts of your post made me laugh a bit at the irony. But hey, I don't get out much. For the record I don't think crap is that bad a word any more. Too (...) (25 years ago, 9-Jul-99, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Rights to free goods? (was Re: What happened?

<slrn7oanmg.7jg.cjc@...S.UTK.EDU> <37856F42.4B2DD2B7@voyager.net> Content-Type: text/plain; charset=us-ascii Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit (...) Apparently so in North Carolina also, at least if children are around (the judge did say the part of (...) (25 years ago, 9-Jul-99, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Rights to free goods? (was Re: What happened?

(...) Are you sure that wasn't a guy in Michigan? It made the national news. (25 years ago, 9-Jul-99, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Rights to free goods? (was Re: What happened?

<3785FAB8.391B@mindspring.com> <3785FDDB.7779CCF2@voyager.net> Content-Type: text/plain; charset=us-ascii Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit (...) Maybe I didn't pay attention to details, but I could have sworn it was North Carolina, will have to (...) (25 years ago, 9-Jul-99, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Rights to free goods? (was Re: What happened?

(...) I bet that guy wishes he'd gotten his 15 seconds of fame a different way. (...) 90 days and a canoe, yes. Can't say about the "children vs. women" bit. (25 years ago, 9-Jul-99, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: federalist ISBN (was Re: Rights to free goods? (was Re: What happened?

On Thu, 8 Jul 1999 02:12:24 GMT, Mike Stanley uttered the following profundities... (...) Have a Gestetner photocopier hooked up to the network, so it will be pumped through there, to make an A5 sized booklet. (A5=210mm x 150mm) (25 years ago, 9-Jul-99, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Rights to free goods? (was Re: What happened?

(...) Actually, it's an old law. And the guy didn't just utter the f-word a few times, he was all aggro-ed out, and shouting so people a fair distance away could hear him, and on and on. Personally, I don't care what language he was using. He (...) (25 years ago, 9-Jul-99, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Rights to free goods? (was Re: What happened?

<3785FAB8.391B@mindspring.com> <378640fa.5882690@lugnet.com> Content-Type: text/plain; charset=us-ascii Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit (...) I mostly come to the same conclusion you do but for different reasons. While the owner has the right to (...) (25 years ago, 10-Jul-99, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Rights to free goods? (was Re: What happened?

(...) Boston is one of the rarities in America, a non-rectangular designed city. Or rather, non-planned. Most inner cities here are the same - often the medieval moats are still running through them as well, so you can do nice liquid recreation. (...) (25 years ago, 12-Jul-99, to lugnet.off-topic.fun, lugnet.loc.us.ma.bos)

  Re: Rights to free goods? (was Re: What happened?

(...) Actually, we had the same reasons. You just described it much better. Steve (25 years ago, 12-Jul-99, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

Larry Pieniazek <lar@voyager.net> wrote in message news:3784A319.4DF80A...ger.net... (...) ...and to make a left turn, you have to have an item run interference for you, whether it be pedestrian, ambulance, or homeless man pushing a shopping (...) (25 years ago, 13-Jul-99, to lugnet.off-topic.fun)

Jeremy Dailey wrote in message ... (...) shopping (...) Or other car... Now Boston driving isn't THAT bad... I've never had an accident in Boston (near Boston, yea, a couple)... Another fun one people "discover". There are lots of lights where (...) (25 years ago, 13-Jul-99, to lugnet.off-topic.fun)

  Re: Rights to free goods? (was Re: What happened?

(...) This reminded me of something my Driving Instructor told the class. He said if an accident is unavoidable, always steer for the softer target. My friend piped up, "So if we have a choice between a brick wall and a person, we should hit the (...) (25 years ago, 13-Jul-99, to lugnet.off-topic.fun)

  Re: Rights to free goods? (was Re: What happened?

(...) There you go again, mixing theory with practice. In _theory_, someone/some committee _with all the information_ making decisions can do better (as measured by the utilitarian principle) than the free market. Much in the same way that in (...) (25 years ago, 22-Jul-99, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Rights to free goods? (was Re: What happened?

(...) No kidding? Man, you're weird. (...) And? Nothing wroing with ad hominem attacks, if you can support them properly with your arguments. If they can't, it's just more ammunition to use against them. Win/win situation, really.. Jasper (25 years ago, 22-Jul-99, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Rights to free goods? (was Re: What happened?

(...) That, I suppose, is the problem with the argument that those who deserve will get medical care through charity. You have too much faith in humanity. Jasper (25 years ago, 22-Jul-99, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Rights to free goods? (was Re: What happened?

(...) No. Nice try though. (...) So you're conceding the rights based argument, then? Good. (...) No. In THEORY it's impossible for any finite committee to outperform (that is, out allocate) the market, unless they have more information than the (...) (25 years ago, 22-Jul-99, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Rights to free goods? (was Re: What happened?

(...) No, you have too little. I give more by proportion because I think about what it means a bit more. Change society to encourage the behaviours you want and you won't be relying on those like me who have indomitable will and faith in goodness, (...) (25 years ago, 22-Jul-99, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Rights to free goods? (was Re: What happened?

(...) Says who? The mere fact that I choose to make a post focusing on one side of the argument does not mean I concede the other. Far from it. The trouble is, we both start from opposite views of what is a right and what is not, and therefore, (...) (25 years ago, 26-Jul-99, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Rights to free goods? (was Re: What happened?

(...) I take it you mean no taxes at all anymore, so your income would rise? More like profits would go up for business, IMHO, but that aside. (...) For one thing, abolishing all taxes and what gets paid by it wouldn't triple my income, it would (...) (25 years ago, 26-Jul-99, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)