 Off-Topic / Debate / 1348
Re: Rights to free goods? (was Re: What happened?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Sat, 3 Jul 1999 08:24:05 GMT

On Tue, 29 Jun 1999 14:18:59 GMT, Larry Pieniazek uttered the following
profundities...
1 - For instance, expect Jasper or Richard to weigh in about how well
the Euros do at transferring wealth to provide free goods... :-) Their
bubble hasn't burst yet, but it will.

I responded before seeing this bit! :o)

Actually, in Europe(1) we do a rather crap job of provision of
social care. Too many liberals and communists have infiltrated
the bloated civil service infrastructure, resulting in gross
inefficiencies, "you poor dear" mentalities, and extraordinary
wastefulness. In the UK, the Conservatives often promised
reform, but lacked the backbone to do a damned thing about it.
Surprisingly, the Labour party, whom the wasters thought would
forever protect them from ever having to work ever again, have
demonstrated enough backbone to start *trying* to reform it.

In the UK there has developed benefit-dependancy.
It is not uncommon for an individual to earn more money *not*
working than to actually work! (I do not know this from
experience. I have always worked. I will even do work I
despise rather than rely on someone else).

(1) I really should say the UK, but I have heard examples
of France's social care system being ridiculously generous
at times. Though we could learn a helluva lot from the
continent's state-run health care systems.
richard.dee@nospam.virgin.net remove nospam.(lugnet excepted)
Web Site:   http://freespace.virgin.net/richard.dee/lego.html
ICQ 13177071                  AOL Instant Messenger: RJD88888