 Off-Topic / Debate / 1318
Re: Rights to free goods? (was Re: What happened?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Wed, 30 Jun 1999 21:04:39 GMT

Ed Jones wrote:

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Frank Filz writes:

I think that in a perfect liberatopia, all three of these people would
have no problem getting the care they need, through charity.

So you are saying that these people have the right to the care that they need.

No.

Isn't charity the giving of free goods?

Yes and no.

Are you saying that these people have
a right to free goods?

No. There is no right to charity. A charity may feel a moral obligation
to help, but that moral obligation is something between them and their
benefactors. A charity will set conditions under which it provides goods
and services. Some charities will have less stringent conditions, others
will have more stringent conditions. The benefactors are free to chose
the charity whose conditions they agree with. In a free market,
charities will arise which serve the interests of the benefactors.

Our government is actually largely a charity, but unfortuanately we
don't get to decide how much to contribute, so there is no market to
guide the government into supporting those charitable services that the
people really want to support.

Libertarianism is being portrayed as a cold uncaring society. What I
read from Larry's posts is not a cold uncaring society. I see a society
which will make the best world for as many people as are willing to
participate to the best of their ability in that society. And yes, that
society will be cold and uncaring to certain people. So is our current
society (ask the various refugee groups who we haven't gone in and
stomped their oppressors for one example).

--
Frank Filz

Work: mailto:ffilz@us.ibm.com
Home: mailto:ffilz@mindspring.com