 Off-Topic / Debate / 1334
Re: Rights to free goods? (was Re: What happened?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Fri, 2 Jul 1999 14:51:25 GMT

John Cromer wrote:

unsolicited advice:  Don't get sick, especially with a long-term,
chronic disease.  If you do, you'd better have some deep pockets.

Thanks for the advice...I'll try not to.

Including prescription drugs, her monthly bill was around $3500.
Could you afford to pay that?  Maybe you could.  She couldn't;
the money was gone.  I couldn't.  I couldn't afford home nursing
care.  I couldn't take care of her myself.

One of my roommates in college grew up in a Utah sheep-farming family.
He tells a quaint little annecdote like yours.  His grandfather got old
(it happens to all of us) and stopped working on the farm, and started
working inside the house and advising his kids on running the farm.  He
kept getting old.  He eventually felt like he couldn't be productive
anymore.  Now, when one of the sheep on the farm isn't productive
anymore, they kill and eat it..no, that's not where this is going,
but...  He wandered off into the desert and died.  Coyotes and stuff ate
him.  He died with tons and tons of dignity.  I hope (if I can't get
immortality or a good freezer bin) that I have the balls and brains to
do something like that.

--
Sincerely,

Christopher L. Weeks