 Off-Topic / Debate / 1399
Re: Rights to free goods? (was Re: What happened?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Wed, 7 Jul 1999 21:03:07 GMT

Ed Jones wrote:

I grew up during the 60s - remember the era that fought for equal rights,
fought against the war in Vietnam, fought for student rights, fought against
oppression of the poor by the rich, fought to get assistance to those who were
in need.

The 60s is the decade that invented the socially-acceptable slacker as
far as I can tell.  I get so sick of you people ranting insanely about
how grand those times were.
How exactly did you and yours fight for those things?  Equal rights - I
hire people regardless of their sex and ethnicity.  Vietnam - My dad was
drafted for the 'Nam he's still alive, but I figure I've done my share.
Student rights - I'm too ignorant to come back with something
appropriately flippant...what's the deal with students?  Oppression of
the poor - I guess that's where y'all decided it was OK to be ignorant
slackers and that the rest of us would foot the bill.  Assistance to
those in need - seems a little general.  I know that my impoverished
family got help from church and neighbors during the OK dustbowl before
cashing in and moving to LA...I guess that concept wasn't invented
during the 60s.

You now propose sterility in order to qualify for "social benefits" programs.

Hmm...  How about student loans - isn't that a form of "social benefit"?  How
about sterilizing anyone that has a student loan until the loan is paid back.

Exactly!  That's the spirit.  Of course, most of my student loans were
from banks, not the gubmint, but still, I think you're on to something.
That way, only the ones successful enough to pay them off get to
procreate.  But, that's not necessarily the smartest or whatever, it
might be too restrictive for a healthy program of gene pool management.

Senior citizens on Medicare - oh yeah, they're ripe for sterility.

No, medicare is kind of a right that they've paid for all their lives.
It's not truly welfare.  It needs to be shut off, gently, but shut off
with social security just the same.

Construction workers - most of whom work 6-8 months a year, but are on
unemployment during the winter - and some even receive food stamps.  Why not,

Well, unemployment is insurance, not welfare, and food stamps is
something they should be able to avoid by saving during their working
season instead of quaffing a six-pack every day like the ones who
visited my 7-11 while saving up for college entrance did.

they're tax dollars have paid for the right to receive food stamps.  Do we

I thought we were past this right to free goods thing.  Oh well.

sterilize them each fall and reverse the operation each spring?

No, I would advocate sterilizing as a precondition for receiving aide,
and then allowing them to waive future aide in order to turn it off.
Actually, I wasn't the one who brought up reversible sterilization, that
was Mike's idea.  I meant full-on permanent sterilizations.

Or is your intent merely to limit the reproduction of citizens that you find to
be worthless to society?

I'm not sure what you mean by merely.  I consider such a goal a grand
aspiration, not something to be referred to as 'mere.'  We already have
natural selection that is guided by societal mores.  I'm not proposing
anything particularly revolutionary.  And it's behavior that we impose
on lower animals without qualm...what's the difference?

Jeez what's next - concentration camps.  Or is your intent extinction?

Yeah, right.  Concentration camps wouldn't do any good.

I am truly appalled by the direction this debate has taken.

:-)

--
Sincerely,

Christopher L. Weeks