 Off-Topic / Debate / 1406
Re: Rights to free goods? (was Re: What happened?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Thu, 8 Jul 1999 01:39:36 GMT

Christopher L. Weeks wrote in message
<3783B529.73A74C27@cclabs.missouri.edu>...
Ed Jones wrote:
I grew up during the 60s - remember the era that fought for equal rights,
fought against the war in Vietnam, fought for student rights, fought • against
oppression of the poor by the rich, fought to get assistance to those who • were
in need.

   Groovy!

<silly debate snipped>

No, I would advocate sterilizing as a precondition for receiving aide,
and then allowing them to waive future aide in order to turn it off.
Actually, I wasn't the one who brought up reversible sterilization, that
was Mike's idea.  I meant full-on permanent sterilizations.

   Chris, I tend to agree with you more often than with Ed "Boxer" Jones,
but if you would advocate the above, I would have to puke.  When some one
brought up this sterilizing idea, I thought it was a joke.  I don't like
that idea and I will tell you why.  I don't think the government should be
handing out goods taken from one who earned them to another who did not.  No
matter what preconditions are made, I still won't like group theft.  Your
new precondition is just wrong wrong worng and two wrongs still don't make a
right.

Or is your intent merely to limit the reproduction of citizens that you • find to
be worthless to society?
I'm not sure what you mean by merely.  I consider such a goal a grand
aspiration, not something to be referred to as 'mere.'  We already have
natural selection that is guided by societal mores.  I'm not proposing
anything particularly revolutionary.  And it's behavior that we impose
on lower animals without qualm...what's the difference?

   Maybe David Duke's grand aspiration.

Jeez what's next - concentration camps.  Or is your intent extinction? • Yeah, right.  Concentration camps wouldn't do any good.
I am truly appalled by the direction this debate has taken.
:-)

   Concentration camps have been shown to be effective in the past, and
depending on your true aspiration might do a lot of good.  I agree that it
is pretty appalling to demand sterilization for receivers of charity.  Now
if you are talking about punishment, maybe in some cases it wouldn't be such
a bad idea.  Like rape, for instance, sterilization (or even castration)
might be appropriate - a good deterrent.  Deterring people from being
slackers is a good thing to do, but I doubt we swayed Ed much with this
idea.  And he has proven to be a hard nut to crack anyway.
Christopher L. Weeks

--
   Have fun!
   John