 Off-Topic / Debate / 1407
Re: Rights to free goods? (was Re: What happened?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Thu, 8 Jul 1999 02:04:39 GMT

Ed Jones wrote:

Why is this free goods? They have paid for those goods with their tax dollars,
have earned those goods and have a right to receive those goods.

You're stretching here, you know. This notion that you paid in advance
for food stamps and therefore are entitled to get them kind of runs
counter to the notion that the needy deserve help whether they paid for
it or not. You can't have it both ways. You do know that, right?

Besides, speaking utilitarianly, it would be a far better investment for
our putative construction worker to set aside the tax dollars he paid to
fund his own future food stamps, and instead, put them in the bank. Even
in a passbook he'd get a half year at 4% instead of paying two tax
dollars or therabouts for each one dollar stamp. (1)

But that implies he would have a choice. He doesn't. He has to pay
taxes, whether he later collects food stamps or not. So, still speaking
utilitarianly, it's rather specious to say he's engaging in any sort of
specific transaction for these stamps. I go back to what I said umpteen
appends/posts ago, stop the shell games, stop justifying robbing one
person because you claim you're going to help him later, maybe.

Your argument is analogous to a mugger asking me after he robs me
whether I'd rather he spent my money on whiskey or whores, and somehow
feeling that means he didn't actually rob me. (2)

Again, to bad we couldn't have gotten to your parents in time.

Really, Ed, twice in one post with the same cheap shot? You can do
better. Stop with the ad hominem attacks, if you would. And who is WE in
this context?

PS, it's TOO, not TO. Only the lower orders make grammatical misteaks.
:-) Even t7pos.

1 - After you factor in administrative costs, fraud, and so forth, this
really is not a very effective program.

2 - Whiskey, if you must know. Kills him faster. AFAIK, far fewer people
die from too much sex, and that's a good thing IMNSHO. Were I choosing
for myself and those were my only two choices, I'd choose whores, but
that's just me.

lugnet.