 Off-Topic / Debate / 1410
Re: Rights to free goods? (was Re: What happened?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Thu, 8 Jul 1999 02:14:58 GMT

Ed Jones wrote:

You're stretching here, you know. This notion that you paid in advance
for food stamps and therefore are entitled to get them kind of runs
counter to the notion that the needy deserve help whether they paid for
it or not. You can't have it both ways. You do know that, right?

Actually, you can, and it was the intent of the original program - to assist
those with no income and to assist those who are underemployeed.

[snip]

But that implies he would have a choice. He doesn't. He has to pay
taxes, whether he later collects food stamps or not. So, still speaking
utilitarianly, it's rather specious to say he's engaging in any sort of
specific transaction for these stamps. I go back to what I said umpteen
appends/posts ago, stop the shell games, stop justifying robbing one
person because you claim you're going to help him later, maybe.

Well, actually, he has to pay unemployment insurance (which is part of his
taxes).

Your argument is analogous to a mugger asking me after he robs me
whether I'd rather he spent my money on whiskey or whores, and somehow
feeling that means he didn't actually rob me. (2)

Ya lost me with that analogy.

Again, to bad we couldn't have gotten to your parents in time.

Really, Ed, twice in one post with the same cheap shot? You can do
better.

Weeks said: "I'm too ignorant to come back with something appropriately
flippant".  I gave him examples of flippance.

PS, it's TOO, not TO. Only the lower orders make grammatical misteaks.
:-) Even t7pos.

Hey, 7 typos for me is incredible - I type 60 words a minute with 45 errors.
:')  What, you did't read my request to Todd for spell a spell checker for
LUGNET?