 Off-Topic / Debate / 1400
Re: Free speech and abuse thereof
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Wed, 7 Jul 1999 20:32:12 GMT

Frank Filz wrote:

I wasn't placing blame on the LP (hm, same initials as Larry's, any
coincidence?). I was asking how in Liberatopia, this situation would be
dealt with. Note that Liberatopia has few, if any, gun control laws.

No society can ever be perfect. The following are pat answers and none
of them completely solves the problem. Some of them won't work without
some other societal restructuring.

- Despite the image of the quiet, secret rebel who suddenly snaps, most
people that go off on rampages give some warning signs. Current specimen
fits, he had a record already. You could argue that if the first
punishment is more effective, there won't be a second infraction, or not
as likely.

- Gun control is a two edged sword, while ostensibly disarming the
criminal it also disarms the victim and the bystander. I can tell you
that if I ever saw a driveby in progress, and I was carrying at the
time, I would carefully consider whether using my weapon would do more
harm than good. If I truly felt it would be helpful, and I was ready to
accept the consequences of it, I would shoot at the perp's tires

- Why were there so MANY incidents? He shot nine people, right? While we
cannot say for sure, were there NO witnesses to the first one or the
second one? In libertopia witnesses would step forth more readily and
the police would be concentrating on violent crime instead of
victimless, so maybe instead of pulling people over randomly for DWB,
they might have nabbed this guy from the license info on his car.

- Finally the hardest to justify: My sense is that libertopia will tend
to not generate as many loonies. It will be more multicultural and
people will be exposed to many more viewpoints and cultures. It also
will tend to economically select against foolish behaviours. So we'll
have less muddied thinking.

But who can say for sure? There is no way to make a perfect society. the
LP just claims to be able to make it better.

PS: I do not favor mandatory sterilization, but I could support
voluntary sterilization in exchange for eligibility for assistance if a
private charity decided to set things up that way.
lugnet.