 Off-Topic / Debate / 1404
Re: Free speech and abuse thereof
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Thu, 8 Jul 1999 01:22:34 GMT

Christopher L. Weeks wrote:

When it first came up, it was about parents who're "criminally"
negligent.  What do you think ought to happen to them?

Tough question, and one to which I freely admit that I don't have the
answer. Libertopia may not do any better than we do at this one. I know
it hardly can do any worse. (1) Seems to me that reckless endangerment
is one of the common law crimes and should be punished.

In general I'm opposed to irreversible punishments. Sterilization, like
capital punishment to a far greater degree, tends to be irreversible.

I guess if it came to it, I'd advocate something drug/nanotech based
that didn't have an antidote, but lasted only a month, which one had to
take as a condition of probation.

But I'd much rather hope that
- we'd have far fewer unfit parents and
- we'd have far fewer children in need of adoption for other reasons
and therefore the children of unfit parents would be strong adoption
candidates into a scarce market.

I'm much more comfortable with it being the only way to receive charity.
Does your statement above mean that all other things being equal, you
would donate to an organization with such a restriction rather than to
one without?

I have no idea. Hard to see how everything else could be equal. Maybe.

1 - Remember kids. Libertarians don't claim to have the recipe for a
perfect society, just a better one than here and now. Libertopia is not
Utopia.

lugnet.