 Off-Topic / Debate / 1428
Re: Natural born killers? (was Re: Free speech and abuse thereof
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Thu, 8 Jul 1999 16:31:26 GMT

Larry Pieniazek wrote:

John Neal wrote:
  1) The system will only work if people are
honest, hard-working, and respectful of others' rights, and b) the vast
majority of people are *not* that.

While I concede that a lof of people believe this to be true, it isn't.
The vast majority of people ARE hard working decent honest caring
beings.

I think you're wrong.  I would say the "vast minority".  If there exists
such a majority, why haven't changes been made for the better sooner?

One of the most pernicious things about the christian belief
system is the notion of original sin. Other belief systems have it too,
and it colors and distorts believers thinking. Come on, a baby is born
evil?

*I* never said that, and I don't happen to believe it, either.  I think that
notion came from Christian systematic theologians, trying to make sense of
the "system".  In fact, I think we start out perfect and go down hill from
there;)  I find nothing "pernicious" about believing that no one is
perfect.  We are imperfect beings.  We strive to become better (hopefully)
human beings, but there is no set way to accomplish that.  I happen to
believe that Jesus taught us that way, which, incidently, is exactly
opposite to what our own human nature would tell us is true.

And if we think otherwise we merely deceive ourselves.

Solipsism at its finest. If I disprove John, he's so brainwashed by his
false belief system that he will remain convinced that I'm deceiving
myself.

Thank you.  1) You haven't yet "disproved" me, and b) even if you were to
construct a logical argument against me, logic is not necessarily the end
all of discussions.  Please don't take that as a cop-out.  All I am saying
is that there are many things to which logic cannot be applied.  I offer
faith, hope, and love as  examples.

-John

lugnet.