 Off-Topic / Debate / 1415
Re: Free speech and abuse thereof
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Thu, 8 Jul 1999 06:57:36 GMT

Larry Pieniazek wrote:
<snip>

But who can say for sure? There is no way to make a perfect society. the
LP just claims to be able to make it better.

Well, if I may jump in here and say that, in theory Lar and the LP may make
things *logically* clearer, but even in the best of systems you still have
the same, nagging problem:  1) The system will only work if people are
honest, hard-working, and respectful of others' rights, and b) the vast
majority of people are *not* that.  Conversely, even the worst of systems
will work if people are honest, hard-working, and respectful of others'
rights.
I guess my point is that one cannot depend or assume the best in folk,
because even if we are good *deep* down, closer to the surface we all are
bastards.  And if we think otherwise we merely deceive ourselves.

-John